CHAPTER 37

Jack disliked the coffee they served at hospitals. So much so he thought the paper cup tasted better.

But it was a new day, the sun was shining brightly and it was almost time for visiting hours. Jack hurriedly refilled his coffee cup and walked briskly up to Axky's room.

"How is he doing?" he asked the nurse who was coming out of the room.

"He's still unconscious, but his vitals are fine. The doctor will come to check him in a couple of hours." she said with a smile. "He's supposed to wake up soon."

Jack nodded and pushed open the door, his visitor id card dangling from his neck.

Axky was lying on the white single bed, a couple of tubes stuck to his chest and wrist. One was measuring his heart rate and the other was providing him with medicated saline.

He had a peaceful look on his face, and the creases around his eyes were gone. He looked even younger than he used to and Jack was reminded greatly of their time together in highschool.

"Hey old guy." he said with a wry smile as he settled down on the chair beside the bed. "I thought I was the guy who got all bloodied and messed up, not you. You're supposed to be the cool sexy hacker who rescues people. Speaking of which, do you know who rescued you? Honestly, you'll want to wake up as soon as I say his name."

Jack chuckled. Levi and Axky had a pretty much hate-hate relationship. He could imagine the look of shock on Axky's face when he found out Levi had saved his life and that he was now forever in his debt.

"Although, it does seem you will see an awful lot of him from now on." continued Jack. "Our little Vicky seems to like him, you know, romantically."

Jack sighed. It looked like Axky wasn't waking up any time soon. He patted Axky's shoulder as he stood up.

"Don't you dare pull a stunt like that again without telling me, okay?" he said gruffly. "And for the love of God don't you dare die on us. Paula can't handle Levi alone."

He turned to leave, and a tiny second after he'd shut the door behind him came a soft voice that no one heard.

"She won't have to."

***

"He's still asleep." said the nurse waiting on Levi. "You could sit for a while. He should wake up any time now."

Jack nodded and sat on the chair with the now cold coffee in his hand. He took a sip of the suspicious coffee in an attempt to pass the time.

"What do they put in the machine?" Jack asked to no one in particular as he spat out a mouthful of coffee.

"I hear they sometimes use dung beetles." said a boyish voice.

Jack controlled the urge to vomit as he figured out the source of the voice.

"Hey pipsqueak." said Jack looking up to see a grinning Levi. "Good to see you're in good spirits."

"Don't call me that." said Levi looking a tad offended. "I am quite tall."

"Yeah, but shorter than me by a long shot so it doesn't count." said Jack with a deceptive smile. "I don't think we've met. I am Jack Dixon---"

"I know, you're the hot uncle who drops Vicky to parties and stuff." waved off Levi. "What I want to know is why you're here to see me."

Jack raised his eyebrows at the hot uncle part but couldn't help but feel flattered.

"I'm here to thank you." said Jack. "Axky and I are childhood friends and our families go way back. So even if you are an obnoxious brat you saved someone who means a lot to us, and you have my eternal gratitude."

Levi raised his remaining eyebrow at obnoxious brat but considering how honest Jack was being he decided to let it pass.

"Is the old man okay?" he asked instead. He was anxious to hear the answer.

"Axky's still unconscious, but we're hopeful he'll come to his senses sometime today." said Jack thoughtfully setting his coffee aside on the table stand nearby. "If he's still in shock, he may need some more time to get better."

Levi nodded solemnly. He looked away from Jack and completely wiped the ghost of a grin from his face. He breathed deeply and continued to look down at his lap for two minutes staright. In fact he looked so serious that Jack was alarmed.

"Are you alright kiddo?" he asked worriedly. "Should I call the nurse?"

Levi turned to look at him in surprise. "Why would you do that?"

"Right now, you looked like you were in pain." explained Jack.

Levi let out a bitter laugh. "I am in pain. It's just not the physical kind." he said with a shaky wave of hands.

Jack looked at him skeptically so Levi continued. "I feel guilty." he confessed. "I am responsible for this mess."

"No you're not." said Jack firmly. "Whatever your crimes, you did not instigate or mastermind a kidnapping. You did not plan to kill an innocent man in cold blood. You are not guilty for any of these heinous crimes, so stop beating yourself up."

"I hacked---" started Levi.

"I'm sure Axky will forgive you." said Jack dismissively. "If anything you probably earned his respect by getting past his cyber security."

There was a small pause as Levi digested these facts.

"Wow." said Levi finally. "Thanks Mr. Dixon."

Jack smiled. "Thanks for using my name Levi."

Levi smiled back, but inside he was still worried. Gavin Walters was still on the loose. What if he found out Axky was still alive and returned to finish the job? His mind was racing with possibilities and he was honestly scared. What if Gavin found out who saved Axky? What if he zeroed in on his identity?

But what scared him the most was a grim possibility.

What if Gavin got to Levi's mother?

A/N : Next chapter will be up tomorrow.

Levi's mother makes her debut in the next chapter and we get one step closer to the evil Gavin Walters.

Thank you for reading! Do vote, share and comment on this chapter if you enjoyed this story. It lets me know people are reading :)

Lots of love,

Andy