CHAPTER 38

Axky awoke in the wee hours of the morning. His eyes adjusted slowly to the dim light around him. He squinted to see that he had an oxygen mask over his nose. His back felt cold and bare and he realized that he was dressed in a hospital gown.

He felt restless and took off the mask, breathing in deeply as he enjoyed the early morning air. The painkillers seemed to have been working fine. His body was hurting only slightly. There was a small clock on the wall facing him. He squinted in the half light to see that it was half past four. It was likely his family was asleep, even if they were waiting outside for him. Axky sighed and settled back into the bed.

There was a lot of business to be looked into, especially now that he had enough proof. With a little cooperation from a certain teenager, Gavin Walters would be in jail for the rest of his miserable life.

There was a small creaking noise and Axky was surprised to see a familiar boy enter. Trying to control his grin, he replaced the oxygen mask and feigned sleep.

Levi tiptoed up to the sleeping Axky in his hospital gown, his backside freezing in the cold and hurriedly took a seat on the bedside chair.

"Hey old man." he said softly. "Why won't you wake up already?"

Axky didn't respond, his eyes remained closed, his breathing even and slow. Levi sighed and settled more comfortably on the chair. He closed his eyes as well and tried to keep his thoughts together.

"I'm sorry." he said sincerely. "I don't know if you'll ever forgive me, but please, when you wake up, let me help you. Together, I know we can nab Gavin. Just please, please wake up."

Axky didn't respond and Levi was overwhelmed with a pain he could not describe. Tears streamed down his face as he bent his head on the bed and sobbed. It took Axky a while to understand what was happening.

"Hey, hey, it's alright." said Axky ripping off the oxygen mask and sitting up. "I'm fine." he said gently.

Levi looked up in shock , his eyes still sparkling from the unshed tears, his face contorting into a frown as he realized he'd been played.

"You were faking it." he said disbelievingly. His eyelashes faltered, trying to hide the fact that he was crying, in vain.

"It was too good an opportunity to miss." said Axky with a grin. "Want to tell me why you're interested in sneaking in to see me?"

"I feel bad." said Levi looking at him guiltily. "It's all my fault---"

"Do you know your left eyebrow is missing." interjected Axky tilting Levi's face a little with his index finger so he could take a look at the scar beneath his cheekbone as well. "You are wearing a hospital gown." he noted.

"Yes, I got a little hurt in the fire---" started Levi dismissively.

"What fire?" asked Axky with a frown. He was having a hard time putting two and two together.

"After, after you were kidnapped, we were trying to find out where they took you. David discovered your location because of the microchip in your shoes. We told the police station about it, and we---" Levi broke off unsure of how to continue.

"Let me guess, you followed the GPS too?" said Axky with a lazy smile.

"Yeah. David, the twins and I drove to your location. There was fire everywhere and goddamn it the signal was beeping right in the middle of it." said Levi fervently. "There was a cellar of some kind, the roof was blown off, and the signal was coming from beneath. The firemen were taking a little too long, David went to get them. But by then, I'd spotted you down there and jumped---"