CHAPTER 31

David awoke to the loud ring of his cell phone wrenching him out of his peaceful dream. Cursing under his breath he hastily looked at the caller's id.

"Why the hell is the bastard calling me?" he said squinting at the name and irritably taking the call.

"What do you want?" he barked into the receiver.

"Delightful mood you are in." said Levi cheerfully. "I kind of need your help."

"My help?" snorted David. "Like I'd ever help you, you asshole."

"Like I said, lovely mood." continued Levi merrily. David wanted to punch him in the face. Unfortunately Levi was too far away and all he could do now was disconnect the damn call. Not hearing Levi's voice in the middle of the night---now that seemed like a great idea.

"Look David, Vicky needs your help. I'm just calling to let you know how you can help." said Levi quickly just as David was about to click on the red disconnect symbol.

David cursed loudly this time as he stopped.

Vicky.

 He hated to think Vicky was in trouble of some kind and was afraid to approach him directly because he'd told her off on a stupid whatsapp chat. David felt guilty for yelling at her, but honestly, how could a girl be so blind? It seems that she could and well, he just had to suck it up.

Damn it, Levi really knew how to get to people.

"I'm listening." said David finally defeated.

"Knew you'd come around." said Levi patronizingly. "I need you to trace someone."

"Vicky's missing?" asked David hurrying up to get his laptop. God help him if she had got herself kidnapped and the police traced the last hostile connection down to his conversation with her and stashed him in jail.

"No her father is." said Levi calmly. "He doesn't have his phone with him or anything I can use to trace him with. He was last seen at Walt Game's building around ten thirty last night."

"Got it." said David his mouth forming a thin line. "Hold the line."

He typed for several minutes trying everything to locate Axky. Twelve programs ran simultaneously on the screen as he waited and waited for a single result.

***

"HELP!" yelled Axky from the suffocating cellar. "HELP ME PLEASE!"

He was greeted by silence and the soft sounds of wind rustling the leaves. Axky changed tact.

"I KNOW YOU ARE OUT THERE," he shouted. "I SEE YOU! THE SPIRITS SEE YOU! IF YOU FEAR FOR YOUR LIFE, APPEASE THE GODS AND LET ME OUT!"

There was still no response. Axky sighed. All the energy he had left was channelized to anger.

"YOU STINKING BASTARD GAVIN WALTERS!" he yelled, happy that at least the animals above would know what a terrible exuse for a human Gavin was. "MAY YOU ROT IN HELL!"

Unfortunately, as Axky's stomach growled in hunger and the inescapable musty smell of the cellar filled his nostrils, he realized, it may not be Gavin, who was rotting in hell at the moment.

What a pathetic way to die.

Covered in muck from the garbage truck, tied up, on the floor of a cellar in the middle of nowhere.

Axky rested his forehead against the ground in frustration. This was not how he had hoped the weekend would pan out. There was so much h still wanted from this life. He wanted to see Vicky graduate, go to college, date a nice guy, get married...have someone call him Grandpa Axky...grow old with Paula.

Hey wait a minute.

He could still have all of those things.

Why didn't he think of this before?

He was wearing his new edge sneakers (designed to make him lose weight with minimal exercise because you know how lazy Axky is) wasn't he? Axky kicked his bounded legs to feel a weight on them. Sure enough, the heavy duty shoes were still on his feet! These sneakers weren't just any shoes, they were smart shoes connected to his phone!

Paula always kept a track of how much he walked and how much he weighed ever since the doctor said he was borderline diabetic. So basically, thanks to Paula's insistence, there was a transmitter on his shoes. As long as there was something connecting him to the outer world, one would hope that he still had a chance.

But his phone had been taken away by Gavin. Would Paula remember in time about the microchip inside his shoes? Would the knowledge be enough to trace him? How on earth would the police even think of reaching him through that tiny transmitter? It wasn't easy to track him, but then again it wasn't impossible.

Vicky was a good hacker, but she wasn't good enough. Maybe she could work things out miracles could happen. Or they wouldn't.

Axky sighed. Either way he was screwed. The air was getting fouler and fouler around him. He felt oddly relieved when he smelled something other than rotting food.

It reeked eerily like a cigarette. Who would be smoking around here?

Suddenly bright yellow light flooded in through the tiny window overhead. The small cellar lit up with the brightness as Axky heard the unmistakable cackle of flames devouring the walls above him.

Holy mother of God.

Not only was he was going to die, no one was likely to ever find the body.

***

A/N: Hi everyone!

First cliffhanger of the year, eh? Don't worry next chapter is almost ready. It will be up as soon as I am done editing. :)

Wishing everyone a beautiful, wonderful year ahead. Lots of love from me to you and all your families. May this year be everything we hope for.

Thanks for reading and brightening up my life.

Lots of love,

Andy

P.S. Let me know your thoughts on this chapter.