Rising: Part 2

The air is stale.

The floors mouldy.

The walls dirty.

Like sewer rats, they hid among the shadows.

Unseen.

He scrunches his nose up in disgust, seeing the place before him as he made his way over to the holding. How ridiculous they had to resort to underhand tactics to survive in this world.

They, who were once strong, now hide away in fear of being shackled.

For too long they hid.

For too long they cowered.

Now...

Now was different.

It was time.

The guard opened the metal cell in front of him, allowing him through the entrance.

He doesn't speak as the room quiets into whispers.

"Sir, project WS is ready," One of the scientists speaks, voice soft. Nobody dares to speak above the decibel here.

They knew the consequences.

From the corner of his eye, the scientists begin wheeling out a cryo-tube. They hook it up to numerous machines--movements hushed and hurried.

He had a hand in designing that contraption. One of his proudest works yet.

Still... it wasn't enough. It will never be enough.

The glass began to fog up, water droplets dribbling down the surface and onto the floor.

The only sound that could be heard was the low whirring of the machine and the hushed tones of whispers among the scientists.

"Sir... about Project DW?"

It was a question the scientist had dared not bring up.

But it was on everybody's minds.

Almost instantly, the rest of them stilled, halting their movements as they awaited his answer.

He doesn't look at them, knowing it would be pointless and a waste of energy.

She was supposed to be dead.

When they lost her it was a devastating blow. One that took them farther away from reaching their goal.

But here she was.

Alive.

A surprise that, came to him and the others.

That beautiful mind he helped shape was different. Turned into something, good.

Good was not in her training.

She was supposed to obey.

Striding forward, he swipes at the foggy glass, revealing the comatose man inside.

The room is silent as they watch their leader think, a sense of wickedness curling in those pale eyes.

Alexander Pierce grinned.

A promise.

A warning.

The crack of a storm.

"Let the Winter Soldier hunt down the Dark Witch,"

~~@ @ @~~

RISING: PART 2

~~@ @ @~~