Chapter 45

We make quick progress towards the Helicarrier's control barricade.

The only thing that can be heard as we walk are the sounds of heavy boots. We are silent. Neither one of us speaks up.

A part of me is fearful to do so.

I know there are questions running through our brains, questions we cannot understand.

The Winter Soldier beside me does a better job at hiding it but I don't. He's always been better at that. I've never been able to do it.

My confusion is clear, and when I feel like I can't take it anymore, I stop in my tracks.

"Eto nasha missiya, verno?"

This is our mission, right?

He stops his strides. I catch the way his spine straightens, signalling his unease. Very slowly, he turns, so the both of us face each other, and our expressions are revealed.

Doubt.

Uncertainty.

Hesitation.

I see these emotions reflect back at me, as though we're standing on either side of a mirror.

The Winter Soldier's gaze narrowed upon realizing he's had a lapse in judgement. He clenched his fists, teeth gritted.

"Ubit' nashi tseli,"

Kill our targets.

He doesn't sound sure. Not anymore.

I shake my head. "Then why do I feel this is wrong?"

He doesn't reply, choosing to walk ahead of me, forcing me to follow after him. We continued forward, finally entering the maze-like room.

There are metal beams surrounding us everywhere. In the centre laid the contraption we are meant to protect.

"Keep the Soldier from the blades," He orders, telling me to stand still behind him as we wait for the inevitable.

A part of me doesn't want to do this.

But I know I have to.

The area grows silent as time passes.

Gradually we hear resounding boots, slowly approaching us from ahead. I don't need to see past the Winter Soldier to know the Super Soldier has arrived.

The soldier stops a couple of meters away and I feel his energy falter like he's nervous.

Upon raising my head and meeting his gaze, I find his energy waving around even more.

I frowned.

"People are gonna die, Buck," The super soldier swallows hard, looking at the Winter Soldier.

Was that his name?

I wasn't sure.

I'm never really sure.

"You wouldn't want that too, Riley." The Super Soldier turns to me.

Riley.

That name.

Wasn't it a nickname?

My, nickname?

"I can't let that happen," He sighs defeated, his shield clenched tightly by his fingers.

I feel the Winter Soldier in front of me wavering. I sense his confusion, mixing with mine.

But the Winter Soldier remains stubborn. He doesn't want to fight against the training. I can see it in his eyes.