Chapter 34

Steve walked through the hallways, head down as he made his way into the hospital from where he had hidden the flash drive.

His thoughts run rampant about the events that had led him to this moment thus far.

Fury knew something was up so he was killed.

Now Steve was a fugitive to SHIELD and was being hunted down like a dog.

He could only wonder how Lorelie was handling things now that he is unable to reach her. He hoped the woman didn't get involved.

But judging from the way she had greeted him earlier when they bumped into each other at SHIELD... Steve knew it was wishful thinking.

Turning a corner, he came to a stop in front of the vending machine and froze when he saw the pendrive was no longer there.

However, a familiar redhead appeared from behind him in the reflection and he turned around to face her.

The Russian was chewing gum with a smirk on her face.

Angered, Steve glance around before pushing her into a room behind them.

He pins her against the wall, hands on her arms.

"Where is it?" Steve demanded, not in the mood for games as he ripped off his hood.

Confused Natasha's green eyes narrowed. "Safe--"

"Do better!" He snapped, his grip bruising almost.

The Russian is not easily threatened so she spits back. "Where did you get it?"

"Why would I tell you?"

Annoyed Natasha chewed her gum harshly. "Fury gave it to you, why?"

Steve pushed her harder. "What's on it."

"I don't know."

"Stop lying!"

Offended, Natasha pushed him back but he doesn't budge. "I only act like I know everything, Rogers."

Steve looks behind at the door when he hears something but when nothing happens, he turns back around to glare at Natasha. before.

"I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?"

Like what Lorelie deduced beforehand when she said they must have been hired by someone.

Natasha opened her mouth to respond, having no idea how to come back from Steve's angered comment.

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you-"

Abruptly the Soldier pulls at Natasha so he can slam her back once more. His anger was surreal.

The people he was working for were trying to kill him and he didn't understand why. After everything that's happened, this just takes the icing on the cake.

"I'm not going to ask you again."

Natasha paused, having realized the Captain won't give up without proof.

So she takes a deep breath and begins to talk. "I know who killed Fury."

There's a collective pause and Steve's grip loosens but doesn't leave.

Natasha upon knowing the Captain was listening, continues. "Most of the intelligence community believes he doesn't exist. The ones who do, call him the Winter Soldier."

Natasha releases a breath when she realized she needed to tell him another truth she's kept hidden.

Both for Lorelie and her's sake.