Chapter 46

I don't remember feeling this angry.

I don't remember feeling like ripping apart a person so badly.

It's like someone took out everything inside me and remade me.

Like a goddamn puppet.

A low growl escapes my lips as I rise from my kneeling position. Sounds of gunfire and explosions can be heard in the distance above me.

I'm on the ground.

I'm no longer on the Hellicarrier.

And I don't know how I did it.

But I am here.

This is no mirror projection.

No magic trick.

I am very much here.

And very much angry.

Glancing up, I see the TRISKELION base in front of me.

Like a beacon.

I followed, determined to kill the one man who made me like this.

People are running everywhere, trying their best to get out of the way.

Not me.

I had something to do.

Unclasping the mask so it no longer hung halfway, I ripped it apart and enter the building, forging energy blades as I go.

The red imprint on my chest makes me frown in disgust.

Sparking bits of energy on my fingers, I dragged it over the star, burning an X across it.

The base is rattling hard against the assault of the Hellicarriers so I run towards the elevators, ordering it to take me to the highest floor where he is.

When the elevator opens, I slowly climbed out, making my movements deliberate and slow.

The familiar doorway opens without my hands, my power doing that for me on their own.

The moment I enter, three sets of eyes looked at me.

Complete shock is written all over their faces.

I wondered how I looked.

With my eyes marked black and my bloody dishevelled form, face smeared with blood.

"You're back," Pierce says, surprised and slightly relieved.

He has a finger on his phone, two people are in front of him. Natasha and... Fury?

Years of training forces me not to react. Not to see what's in front of me.

My gaze remains hard, unchallenged, unchanged.

Striding in the room, my energy blades still whip furiously at my command and Pierce laughs.

"Do you see Fury? You may have taken her away from us, but you will never take away what's already in her mind."

I stand beside Pierce. Every fibre in my being is forcing me to kill but I relent. Not yet.

Natasha and Fury are looking at me, as though they've seen a ghost.

"Riles--"

I raise a blade at Natasha, forcing her still. She backs up, hands raise.

Fury does not approach me. Just stands there, with an almost sad look on his face. Like he's failed me.

He did.

But that's not what I'm here for.

"Lieutenant, how much longer?" Pierce asked his comm through the monitor he continuously type away on.