Chapter 31

~~@ @ @~~

Not gonna lie, one of my fav chapters.

Keep playing: Old Friend from the soundtrack until this chapter!

~~@ @ @~~

"Good god, yes."

The dozens of people surrounding us each gave me a scandalised expression.

I glared at them, clutching the cone tighter in my hands. "Have you never seen a girl eat an ice cream before?"

Steve who was beside me lets out a laugh at my words. "I don't think people who eat Ice Cream make that sound Riley."

I rolled my eyes as we walked along the busy streets of DC. "Yeah well Rogers, they're missing out."

After leaving the hospital, Steve and I drove to town on his Harley with no goal in mind.

Neither one of us wanted to go home yet, so we decided to just drive around. If I did return home, I was going to go crazy with all these thoughts in my brain.

So after debating, I decided to do a completely random thing.

Which was to stop and get Ice Cream. Steve was surprised when I asked him to stop but followed nonetheless.

So here we were, walking side by side, eating Ice Cream.

Well me, I'm eating Ice Cream. He's more or less trying to get used to the unfamiliar terrain around us.

"You like Ice Cream?" It was a curious question. One meant to start a conversation.

I shrugged and nipped at the cool cream. "I have a sweet tooth."

"Right, I forgot." We walked by numerous stores, the both of us lost in comfortable silence.

We've never done this sort of thing before but it felt nice. Being away from everything else. No missions, no Fury, no Tony no nothing.

I had just swallowed my ice cream when I felt Steve pause.

"Hey," He grabbed my arm and we pulled to a stop in front of a building.

I frowned at the titled words; the United States of Veterans Affairs.

It was a brown building. Quite big from the looks of it with glass panes that reflect the sun.

"I'm just going to meet a friend, you coming?" He asked.

I pretended to be offended but the ridiculous smile refuses to leave my face. "I thought I was your only friend Rogers, are you cheating on me?"

He chuckles and the hand that grabbed my arm slid down my wrist.

"Well, what's one more random thing to do today?"

Took the words right out of my mouth.

We walked into the building and slowly made our way inside. For the most part, it was pretty quiet and virtually empty.

A few people lingered behind so there was really nothing to see other than a few old posters.

"The thing is, I think it's getting worst."

We came nearing a hall and stopped by the doorway to peer in.

A woman was speaking with her head down and her dark eyes lost in thought.

"A cop pulled me over last week, he thought I was drunk. I swerved to miss a plastic bag... I thought it was an IED."

Her emotions were wild and somewhat messy. Like she was struggling to control that part of herself.