Chapter 33

~~@ @ @~~

Next song on the soundtrack.

Fallen

~~@ @ @~~

It feels like a dream.

A horrible, harsh dream.

But then I open my eyes and it's real. This is reality. This is what happened.

If he could see me now he would scold me for crying for him.

Was I crying?

I wasn't sure.

I've become numb to everything around me.

The floor looks interesting. Has it always been marble? Oh, look there's blood.

No, that's coming from me. It drips from my fingers and I realized it's his.

The door opens with a bang and Natasha strides over to the glass window where the doctors are currently working on Nick.

Steve and Maria do not speak as they stare at the window motionlessly.

The energy wafting from everybody tells me their sorrow.

And I can't stand it.

I can't stand in this fucking room and watch the man who'd taken care of me, die.

"Is he gonna make it?" The Russian whispers, eyes blank.

"I don't know." Steve quietly says it having looked at her.

Natasha's fists clenched, her mind already running amok. "Tell me about the shooter."

Steve frowns at her question before shaking his head. "He's fast and strong. Had a metal arm."

My fault. My fault.

I could've stopped the shooter, but I hesitated, I couldn't do it. Everything about me screams for revenge. My brain throbbed in pain but I didn't care.

I never should've cared. It would have been so much easier that way.

"Ballistics?"

Maria approached the two with her arms folded. "Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable." She answered Natasha.

"Soviet-made." The Russian says this almost venomously.

Maria glance at her, startled. "Yeah."

There's a shift in the room and I could feel it. It all happened too fast and I wasn't prepared for it to hit me.

No.

The energy recoils and I stood up abruptly, feeling my entire body trembled in pain and anguish.

"He's in V-tach."

"Crash cart coming in."

"Nurse help me with the drape."

The doctors operating on Nick began to shuffle around hurriedly and I shut my eyes feeling his energy... drifting away.

"BP is dropping!"

"Defibrillator! I want you to charge him at 100!"

Steve glances at me from where he stood but I couldn't bear to his face.

Tears dribbled down my eyes, uncontrollable. It's the first time anyone has seen me cry publicly.

Natasha and Maria leaned closer to the glass and I watch as their usual cool expression break into a thousand pieces.