Chapter 29

~~@ @ @~~

Play; 'Old friend' in the captain america; winter soldier soundtrack and put it on repeat as you read chapter 29, 30 and 31.

P.S. We're getting closer to her backstory nowwwww.

  ~~@ @ @~~  

"Don't start. Just don't."

Fury remains consistent, however.

He does not leave when I tell him to, even though I'm clearly not in the mood, he just stands there stubbornly, by my doorway.

It's been a few days since the mission and I only just recovered from my injuries.

Just when I think I could go back to my daily life, Natasha told me the reason why she did what she did at the Lemurian Star. Apparently, Nick had ordered the pirates to hijack the dirty ship, so Natasha could steal information.

Can we just take a moment to understand how absurd this was?

If people found out the Director of SHIELD had ordered mercenaries to hijack a ship in order to steal information, they would throw him to the dogs.

It was unheard of and while I understood that Fury sometimes does things for his own reasons, this seemed a little extreme. Even for him.

"I'm not leaving until I come in," He says, waiting for me to do so.

Ah, he must've realized at this point that I was very angry at him. I mean I did tell Natasha that Fury can go shove his head up his ass.

That must have given it away.

"Really?" My fingers tightened over the door, eyes glaring holes at his eye patch.

I know he wants to explain and as much as I'm angry at him, the urge to find answers wins over my anger.

So I reluctantly opened my door and sarcastically beckoned him forward.

He nods smugly at me and I have to resist punching him in the one eye he has. Prick.

Nick's one eye did a scan around my apartment and I watch as he nods approvingly.

"Stark really likes to spoil you huh?"

I shrugged, tightening the robe I wore. "I keep telling him not to add in more stuff but well--" I gestured around. "He's Tony Stark."

"Damn straight," Nick sat down on one of the bar stools and rest his hands in front of him. He says nothing, even though I've invited him into the apartment.

It didn't make sense.

Something was bothering him.

What was it?

Even with one eye, I could tell he was clouded with thoughts. I find myself reaching out, needing to understand.

My ears do not ring when I do this, and I took it as a good time to delve deeper.

His emotions crash back like a tidal wave and I frantically fought to grip the important ones.

He's worried. Angry. Fearful. Unsure.

Why?

"What's wrong?" I asked, no longer mad.

Fury looks up to me and shrugs half-hardheartedly. "Do you remember your time in captivity with HYDRA?"

I frowned. Fury never brought this up. It's not like him. "Pieces. Never full memories. It's really hazy."

He nods slowly, looking at the table with a blank expression. Was that it? The conversation ended? There must be something more, but I paid no heed in pressuring him to speak.