17.

Riley

"Take me home Amaru." I spoke angrily.

"This is why I didn't want to tell you." He shook his head.

"Amaru, you just told me you want to go to the military at the end of the school year? What does this mean for us? Is this just a waste of time?" I went on.

"Riley, the military isn't forever." He said stupidly.

"You'll be away from me Amaru." I spoke sadly.

"Can you please reconsider this choice?" I asked.

"I don't know Ri, this is something I've been thinking about for a long time now." He said.

"So, just forget about me huh?" I asked as I scoffed.

"Let's just talk about this another time." He said.

"Yeah, take me home." I sassed, turning my head towards the window.

"Riley." He called as he sat his seat up, starting the car.

"Ri." He called again and I ignored him.

"You're going to ignore me?" He asked, pulling off.

The ride was silent as he made his way back to the highway.

"Riley, I only plan to go because they'll pay off my college tuition and there's a lot of opportunities for me. You know my moms need the help, she got two kids that's about to graduate." He explained.

"Amaru, I get what you're saying but why can't you just go to the community college with me? That way we can work while going to school and save up as much money as we can." I finally spoke, turning my head towards him.

"I don't know Ri.." He trailed off.

"You always have to make things harder than they have to be." I scoffed.

The car became quiet again as he drove fast on the highway, my emotions took over my thoughts and I began to imagine life without Amaru being around.

"So, what do you think I'm supposed to do in life? Just wait for you?" I asked.

"I've waited for you long enough." I snapped.

"I'm not leaving forever." He said.

"I didn't leave forever either but you were still upset at me." I explained.

"You left and didn't say shit." He snapped.

"One summer, one freaking summer Amaru." I snapped back.

"Alright." He said, giving up.

A few minutes later, we were pulling up to my block. He pulled in front of my house and cut the engine.

"Are you sure you don't want to just go to my house?" He asked, looking at the time.

1:00am