23.

1 month later...
May 17th

Riley

10am

"Your father made some dumb decisions but he meant well." My mother explained to me for the millionth time.

At this point, I didn't know if she was trying to convince me or herself. I understood fully that my father faked his death and kept tabs on us for 18 years straight and for some odd reason I was okay with it.

He knew where we lived, he knew what school I went to, he knew everything about us and that gave me some sense of comfort. I was already on the road to forgiveness.

"I understand, mom." I nodded as we sat next to each other on the living room couch.

"So, whats going to happen between you two now?" I asked, laying my head on her shoulder as she sighed.

"I'm not sure, baby." She shook her head.

Before my father faked his death, him and my mom were married. What was she to do in this situation?

"But, don't you worry yourself. Let us handle our grown folks business." She said breaking me away from my thoughts.

"Everything's going to be fine." She assured me as I lifted my head from her shoulder.

"Alright." I agreed as she hugged me.

A few moments later, a knock came to the door and I got up to get it.

"Who is it?" My mom asked me as I looked out the peephole.

"My dad." I said, which felt extremely weird to say.

It's been a month but I still hadn't gotten use to it. I guess I will, eventually.

"Hey, babygirl." My father said to me as I opened the door.

"Hi." I smiled as he gave me a hug.

"Who are those flowers for?" I asked, noticing he had a dozen white roses in his hand.

"Your mother." He said as I closed the door.

"Those are for me?" She asked, raising her eyebrows and he nodded.

"Aw." I said to myself as a smile crept on my face.

"And, what are these for?" She asked, standing to her feet.

"I just wanted to bring you some roses. I know that they're your favorite." He said to her as she tried not to smile.

I couldn't do anything but smile. I hadn't seen my mom this happy ever. She hadn't dated anyone or introduced me to anyone my entire 18 years of living, so this was special.

"Thank you, Mikey but this doesn't change a damn thing." She said to him and he laughed, looking back at me.

"This is where your attitude and stubbornness comes from." He said to me and I nodded.