9

A/N: I don't know why I'm nervous about dropping this chapter 😭, also don't judge my song lyrics lmao I tried. but here y'all go!

Yazmine

"I'm a ask you again, and this time don't shit on a nigga. You want to do something light, when you free?" Devonte asked me. We were walking back to campus, from this place we got milkshakes from. The walk there and back, I actually got Devonte to do more than mean mug me, we talked. Granted, we mostly talked about me, but it was a start.

I took a sip from my cookies n'cream milkshake before responding. "Yeah," I said softly. "What did you have in mind?" If this nigga just wanted to take me back to his apartment, it was a firm no from me. Call me stupid but I wouldn't be stupid twice.

"There's this spot downtown that I sometimes perform at. It's a club type shit, and sometimes they have live music, if you into that." Devonte looked at me, waiting for an answer.

I wanted to say, I'm into you, but I settled for, "I love live music. So yeah, I'm into it. Is this a friend activity?" Lord knows I didn't need to be falling for no nigga no matter how attractive their smile was.

"Fuck that mean," he asked looking confused.

"Like this ain't anything special, it's just a friend going to support a friend?"

"If that's what you need to tell yourself."

"Okay, good! I'm down," I cheesed.

"Aight, bet. It's next Saturday night. It's a club so you can go whenever but my set is at midnight." He glanced at his phone. "Trey leaving campus soon, if you still riding."

"Yeah, I'm coming." I followed him as he headed for the direction of the student center. "Are you nervous about me seeing you rap?"

"Nah," he said. "Why would I be nervous?"

"I mean," I smirked. "What if you're trash? You know everybody think they can rap these days. I would hate for you to turn out to be one of those misguided individuals who swears they have talent but don't have nothing but a SoundCloud."

"Don't come for me Yaz," he said with that slight smile. "I got skills. And I got a SoundCloud, back up off me, girl." He paused in his walking and I almost bumped into him. "Gimme your phone right quick?"

I handed it to him and he gave me his. "For what?"

"I'm putting my number in, that's what. Put yours in mine."

"For what?"

"Stop playing, you know why." He finished and we traded phones.

"Aye fam, I'm about to dip!" Trey was yelling. He was standing near the student center, talking to some tall ass niggas. Looked like half the basketball team.

"Why this nigga stay yelling," Devonte asked no one in particular.

Spending time with Devonte allowed me to see a side of him I never had. He had a sense of humor, he wasn't mean mugging 24/7 like I originally thought. He rapped and sung, so he wasn't just a sports nigga. And when he comforted me after my mini-break down, he didn't feed me a bunch of bs, he just told me it wasn't worth it. And he was right. Now, I just hoped he could actually rap. Nothing worse than a nigga that thought he could rap, but couldn't.

Next Saturday came quickly, almost too soon. Getting into the groove of classes, and everything, I lost track of time. Except for Yoga on Monday and Wednesday, Amari and I had completely different schedules, so we barely saw each other, which was crazy to me.

I would be leaving campus, she would be headed to campus. Sometimes we got lunch, and of course at night she was there, but a two weeks in and I already felt like I was losing my best friend.