19

Yazmine

After I went to the grocery store, I stopped by the beauty supply store real quick. It was about time for my braids to come out. I wasn't looking forward to the job, but it had to be done. And, once they came out I would need to get my hair done.

Indianapolis wasn't like back home in Atlanta. I didn't know where the good beauty shops were, or who did hair so I called up Candy to see if she did. Candy was the type that knew everybody.

I was standing in the aisle of the beauty supply with the phone to my ear. "Hey boo," Candy answered the phone.

"Hey girl. So my braids need to come out, and I was gonna do that today but I just realized, I don't know what I'm a do with it after."

"Girl, what you want done? I don't know how to braid but this girl in my dorm does box braids for sixty. And I know two girls who do good weaves. Just depends on what you want."

I stared at the packs of braiding hair. "I was just gonna get my hair braided again. But a weave sounds nice." If I was gonna do weave, I didn't need braiding hair.

"Okay lemme give you the number of the girls I know. They both do em good, Latrice used to work in a shop but Toya sells the bundles too." She rattled off two numbers, and instagram names, and I thanked her and hung up.

Since I wasn't going to get my hair braided, I just grabbed some clear lipgloss and checked out.

Heading back to my car, I looked at both instagrams. Both did really good weaves, which was important. Nothing worse than a bad weave. The girl named Toya charged a little less, so I got in my car and called her.

It turned out she was booked until next week, so I called Latrice. Latrice was also booked, but she was booked for the next two weeks. So I called Toya again, and booked her for next Saturday.

Driving back to Trey and Devonte's apartment, I realized it was going on 6 PM. I hadn't heard from Tae all day. Usually, if we weren't together we always texted back and forth, but Tae never responded to my last text.

I called him. No answer. That was weird as fuck. I made it to the apartment and Trey's car was gone. Hopefully, Devonte was sleep or something, because I didn't have a key. I knocked as hard as I could, in case he was slumped.

Trey opened the door immediately. "Why you banging on the door like you twelve, girl?"

"My bad, I ain't know you was here, your car was gone."

"Yeah Devonte has it." Trey noticed the grocery bags in my hand. "Lemme help you." He took the bags to the kitchen, then came back. "You got more bags in the car?"

"Yeah, thanks Trey."

He nodded and went outside. Since Trey was going to get the groceries out of the car, I went into the kitchen and started putting everything away.

"You know where Devonte went?" I asked when Trey came back in the kitchen loaded down with bags.

"Nah, not exactly, but probably to see Bre."

I started getting a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. I couldn't quite identify what it was, but it didn't feel good at all.

"Why do I feel like you don't like Bre?"

Trey looked at me. "Cuz I don't."

"Why? She's Tae's ex so I don't understand why you got beef with her."

Trey rubbed his chin. "I mean, we all grew up together. I been knowing Bre and Devonte forever. But after they broke up, and it was a bad break up, I felt like she was dragging Tae down. Like, they wasn't together, and she was so damn needy. Every five minutes he gotta go rescue her. That shit unhealthy. The girl needs help, I'll admit that, but it ain't like Tae can give it to her." He hopped up on the kitchen counter, and started going through the bags. "I'm not saying she was trying to be but I feel like she manipulative, she know Tae and she knows he will always come running when she calls."