22

Devonte

"Hey, you!"

I looked up from my phone. I was at work, but the bookstore was empty as fuck, or at least it used to be. Fuck, I thought when I saw who was talking to me. It was ol girl I smashed earlier in the semester, way back when. The senior I met at a house party.

I didn't even know her name. She tossed her long hair over her shoulder. "I see you been avoiding me." That was very true. Shawty had sent me texts since me and Yaz got together so I blocked her ass. This bitch really ain't understand the meaning of one night stand.

"Word?" I asked dryly. If she wanted drama, she wasn't gonna find it with me.

"Yeah. You never texted me back. I thought you enjoyed yourself that night." She leaned over the register counter, and since she ain't have much on, her titties were now in my face.

I took a step back. "Yo, I don't know what kind of game you're tryna play, but that was a one time thing. So stop hitting my phone." When she didn't move, I spoke again. "And I got news for you bitch. I aint enjoy myself that much."

"Oh really? Aight." She straightened up, and mugged me. "Fuck you then. But I got news for you too nigga. I'm pregnant." She dug into her purse and I recoiled at what she pulled out. Three drugstore pregnancy tests, all positive. She shoved them back into her purse. "I have a doctor's appointment Saturday, and I want you to come with me. Ten am. I'll text you the address."

And she stormed away.

My ass was shook. I ain't even have the words. And I didn't even move to follow her.

The rest of the week, her words haunted me. Since she was inviting me to the doctor with her, chances were shawty really was pregnant. Now the question was, was the baby mine?

Since she obviously still had my number and planned on using it, I unblocked her and waited on that text. I already knew what I was demanding at the doctor's appointment: a damn paternity test.

By Friday night, I still hadn't got no type of text from ol' girl. What kind of fucking game was she playing? Was she even pregnant? These kind of thoughts kept running through my head as I tried to relax.

Me, Yaz, Trey, and this Keisha girl were at the apartment watching movies when there was a knock at the front door. Yazmine got up from my lap. "I'll get it." I got up too since it was like one am and it could have been anyone at that door. I trailed behind Yaz as she went to the door.

She looked through the peephole then let out a gasp. Quickly, she unlocked the door and yanked it open. "What the fuck happened to you?"

Amari fell into her arms. There wasn't that much light, but I could make out bruising on her face, and other signs that someone had whooped her ass. Yazmine steadied her former friend. "Amari, talk to me. Who did this to you?"

"Who's that at the door?" Trey called from the couch.

"It's Amari," Yazmine told him.

"Amari? The fuck she doing here at this time? The fuck she doing here at all?"

I looked into the living room and saw Trey getting up from the couch.

"Nigga, sit the fuck down," I told him. Acting all fired up like he was about to do something.

"Close the door," Amari spoke for the first time. "I don't want him to know where I'm at..." She was panting like she just did the race.

"Who is he?" Yazmine narrowed her eyes. "Ta'kee did this to you?" She grabbed Amari by the shoulders and peered into her eyes. "Did he?"

Amari opened her mouth, but nothing came out. And then she slid to the floor in a heap.

Thirty minutes later, I was back in the hospital, again, because of a girl. But this time it was girl I didn't even half like. The beep, beep, of the hospital equipment was an annoying buzz in my ear.

Amari was sedated. "Back so soon?" Dr. Lopez checked Amari's charts, but it was me she looked at in concern. Guess I was Captain Save a Hoe these days.

"Unfortunately." And it was. Amari had been beat bad, like the intent was to kill her.

"Is she going to be okay?" Yazmine. She had her hands clasped like she was praying.

"Yes, she is. At first I was worried about internal bleeding, because she has multiple broken ribs. She has bruising on her face, and some of them look old. She's in pretty bad shape, but I can tell she's a fighter. Right now, we need to see if she sustained a concussion. When she wakes up, we have to run some tests." Dr. Lopez's gaze was searching. "Any idea who might have done this to her? This type of beating, these injuries...it seems personal. I'm afraid I might have to get the police involved."

"Honestly Doctor, we have no idea. She showed up at my door looking like this and passed out." Yaz looked like she was about to cry. "She was my best friend, like my sister, but we fell off and I hadn't seen her in a while...this is my fault for not checking on her. Oh my god, what am I gonna tell her parents!"

"Hey." I reached for her and she came into my arms willingly.

Things just kept getting worse and worse. I still hadn't told Yazmine about the girl who popped up on me at work, mostly because I was hoping her pregnancy, if it was even real, had nothing to do with me. Shit, I used protection. But that didn't make it impossible for the baby to be mine. Condoms broke.

But damn, I really hoped she wasn't pregnant. And I really hoped Amari was okay. Because if the girl was pregnant, I would have to ask for a paternity test. And I couldn't hide that from Yaz.

I guided Yazmine back to the chair she had been sitting in before the Doc came in. I gathered her in my arms, and prepared for the long wait ahead.

And once again, I found myself praying.

But this time, it was a selfish prayer.

A/N: So who y'all think beat up Amari? And is ol' girl really pregnant? 👀 These comments had me dying especially y'all who want Devonte & Yaz to have a baby. 😂😂 Oop, looks like there might be a baby in the picture soon & it ain't Yaz's.

"