39

Yazmine

"Where your boyfriend at?"

"Huh?" Startled out of my train of thought I blinked. I focused on Erik. He was tapping a pencil against his chin.

"I said, where your boyfriend at?"

"Erik, you posed to be doing the problem, not asking me personal questions." I bent my head to look at what he did so far. "You only halfway done."

"Yaz, you can talk to me if you having problems in your relationship." Leaning back in his chair, he looked at me seriously.

"Even if I was having problems, you the last person I would talk to," I muttered. I checked my phone for the time.

"So you are having problems?"

"Nah I'm straight." I sighed. "You done with the problem?"

"Yeah." He slid the paper to me. "But for real Yaz. Like I care about you and I can tell something's bothering you. If you need someone to listen, I'm here. Deadass. Like as a friend."

Nodding, I chose not to respond and instead looked over his work. Everything was correct. Smiling, I gave him the paper back. "You did good, everything is right."

He gave a shy smile. "I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. It's something about the way you break shit down to me, I always get it, you know?"

"That's my job," I sang. This time when I checked my phone, our hour was up. I started gathering my papers and books.

"Shit, we done already?" Erik looked at his own phone.

"Yeah." I gave him a smile. "See you."

"Oh shit. Hol up." He started shoving all of his books into his bag. "Lemme walk you out."

"I'm straight," I said. "But thank you."

"Nah, it's late. I'll walk you out."

I shrugged. "Okay." Together we packed up our book bags and then he got up and grabbed the door for me. We walked through the library quietly until we reached the exit and stepped out into the freezing cold.

"Damn, it's cold." I looked at all the piles of snow that were scattered on the sidewalks. I wasn't the best at dealing with snow but the streets had been pretty clear.

"Yeah, I guess you ain't used to this huh? Georgia girl," Erik laughed.

"I'm really not." I had to grin. "This cold be having me on my ass when I walk out the house."

Erik kind of rocked back a little as he looked at me. "You hungry?"

"Hella. I need food, like right now."

"I mean, we could slide and go get some." He threw up his hands. "If you want."

I thought about it. Honestly, it was just food. And I was hungry. Shit had been a lot different since me and Devonte's argument. We weren't speaking right now. I had been staying with Candy, but I was taking steps to officially move into a new spot with Tasha's friend. So, most of my shit was already out of the boys' spot.

I hadn't seen or spoken to Tae in a week. That shit was wearing on me. Hell yeah, I was doubting myself. Like, maybe I should have actually listened to him, instead of shutting him down.

"So, whachu wanna do?"

I blinked. Erik's voice broke my train of thought for the second time tonight . It was just at well since my thoughts were heading down a dark path.

"We can get some food. Whachu want?"

He rubbed his hands together and flashed a grin. "It really don't even matter."