Chapter 6

CH6

"Thankyou, Mrs Brown."

The thirty-two year old nurse gave us a kind smile, as we headed out.

Fifteen minutes late, as we approached the class, the voice of our principal came from inside, "...  businessman, and our valueable trustee, Mr. Roth." I was about to ask for permission to enter, when I froze.

HE.
IS.
HERE.

I looked at a dangerous and an intimitading Abner Roth, dressed- in a suit this time, standing beside opur principal, and our history teacher who was eyeing him like a piece of meat.

His eyes scanned the whole classroom, as if searching for something. He then inhaled deepely, and a second later, his head snapped in our direction.

I never had observed that the white tile near the left side of the door had a tiny, parabolic crack in the center.

It was when Mr. Briggs, our Principal questioned where we were that I looked up. He motioned for us to sit, as Nisha explained about our little trip to the nurse's.Before sitting, I spared one last glance at Abner.

As always, his face was expressionless. His eyes though were a fifty shades of furious, as they were glued to my knee.
I raised my hand to brush a stray strand of hair, that revealed my bracelet-clad wrist to him. His eyes somewhat softened. At least that's what I thought.

I sat down, looking anywhere but him even if I could feel imaginary laser beams from his eyes, drilling through my skull. I kept my eyes on Mr. Briggs, as he continued to babble about 'the great' Abner Roth.

"Either you've kept me in the dark about your crush on our pot-bellied principal", whispered Nisha, "or Abner Roth's staring is actually bothering you."

"Nobody's staring at me."

"Goodmorning everyone", spoke a different voice. I looked at the man beside Abner speaking. "I'm Oswin Myron, the be- best friend of Abner. This year Roth Enterprises shall be conducting a scholarship test and about ten meritorious students shall be chosen. Matilda shall distribute the booklets regarding this."

The class burst into murmurs. Now that I finally looked around, I noticed how most of the female populace of the class was ogling at Abner, who was busy talking to Mr. Briggs.

"What are you looking at?", asked Nisha.

"Look", I replied, pointing to Kitty, who was looking at him, with streaks of drool actually flowing out of her mouth. We both chuckled. A sudden upward jerk and my knee hit the leg of the table, hard. The burning pain started, as the wound reopened.
Nish saw that, and raised her hand, "Excuse me, sir, but Adela's wound has reopened. I need to take her to the nurse."

"Yes, dear. Please go."

As I tried to get up, my knee cried in pain. i let out a small oomph, my falling self ready to meet the floor. I did not, because Abner Roth had me airborne.

"I'll take her. Myron, continue with the rest of the inspection."

His voice was so full of authority, that none- even Mr. Briggs questioned him.

"I'll accomany Ade-"

Nisha Rai simply shrank in her seat, for a single glare from Abner shut her up.

Me?
Was I shocked?

Shocked is an understatement. I was super-shocked and terrified. I looked up at Mr. Roth, who was looking straight ahead, walking straight.

"Take the first left. The second door is where we'll find Mrs. Brown."

He grunted and maybe I heard something like 'smelled it out', I guess.

"I can walk, Mr Roth."
He simply grunted at that.

"Get the first- aid  kit now!", he roared as soon as he stepped in the nurse's office.

"Now get out", he calmly told Mrs. Brown, taking the kit from her.

"But she's blee-"

"I said out!"

Terrified, Mrs. Brown practically jumped for the door. With one swift move, he ripped off the old bandage that wa now soaked in my blood. I flinched, as sthe spirit touched my wound.

"Now don't act like a three-year old!", he snapped. so i quietly sat, as he cleaned and dressed my wound.

"So... Mr. Roth", I asked, breaking the silence, "what were you doing in the forest alone?"  'alone and naked', I mentally added.

"None of your business",  he said, cleaning his hands.

"Thanks for the bracelet, though. It's very beautiful."

"It was not for you, stupid. I left it in there."

"Oh." I immidiately started to unclasp it, but he gripped my hand.

"Don't", he warned.

"But what's not for me, shouldn't be with me, Mr. Roth."

"Keep it", he snarled angrily but composed his voice immidiately, "it's already used, by the way."

"Oh. Then I must pay you."

He snarled as his right hand grabbed my face while the left one tugged at my waist, pulling me impossibly close to him.

"You bitch! Who do you think you are, huh? Why do you think I helped you? Because you're pathetic and pitiful. I give you my pity, jerk.
In case you have any misconceptions that I gave that bracelet to you, let me get one thing clear- it was left by mistake. Mistake! Now you keep it, because I'd never give someone special, something used by you. And you wish to pay?! Even if you sell yourself, you won't be able to pa-"

I held him by the collar of his shirt, bringing down his face to my level.
Tears pricked the corners of my eyes, but I kept the waterworks at bay and snarled back at him, "Listen, butthole and listen very clear. If I choose not to speak against all you bullies does not mean that I am not able to. You think you can just hurt me? Surprise, Roth, you cannot", I chuckled humorlessly.

"Thankyou for your generosity, but I don't need it." I unclasped the bracelet, and kept it on the small table beside.

"Keep this with you, and never cross ways with me. It was not nice to meet you, Abner roth", I said, stomping out of the room. Grabbing my bag from the locker, I decided to go back home via the forest route.

A feeling of calm spread through me, as I inhaled the earthy scent of the forest.  As I was walking back, I heard a distant pitter- patter of water.

Temptation.

Holding my pocket knife that I always carried, I started to engrave an 'X' on the trees, to mark my way back. After ten minutes of stumbling, falling, and exploring, I finally found the small brook with a huge wooden log on it. I cleaned it a bit with my handkerchief, to sit and cry my heart out.

A few minutes later, tired of crying, I kneeled down beside the brook. The water was so clear and clean, that I decided to wash my face with it.

I took a sip of water from my waterbottle, as I sat back on the log. I was thinking about a recent book I had read, when I felt eyes on me.

VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW AND SHARE!
XOXO

VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW AND SHARE!XOXO