Chapter 16

CH16

So the thing is that it's ABNER and ADELA and not Asher or Adele or Avnet or whatever misspellings I've come across.

ABNER and ADELA. That's it.

*****

"I never knew you were so hot, Shepard."
I turned back, to find Mike Styles, the captain of the college football team, grinning at me.

(Mike Styles) ⏬⏬⏬

"Uh... thanks, Mike", I said, blushing. From the past so many months I've had this huge crush on him, and FINALLY, he's talking to me.

I should be happy but then there's this sinking feeling inside my stomach. Ignoring it, I said, "congrats, by the way, for that football match last week."

"Thanks, cuzzy. When did you come, huh?"
"An hour back, I think."

"Hmm. Wanna dance?"

"What?!", I asked. But he immediately held my hand, and led me to the dance floor.
I looked around. Still no sign of Mr. Obnoxious.

I swayed my body along with Mike's and I have to agree that he's a fabulous dancer.
We laughed at another joke of his and I found out that he's a comedian as well.

"You remember that mysterious termite incident two months ago?"

"Yes. What about it?"

"It was me."

"You?!"

Both of us roared in laughter as we remembered how Mr. Kent had screamed when one afternoon he had opened his cupboard under a termite attack.
The good thing was that most of our assignment papers had been eaten. And I hadn't even submitted mine.

"God, Mike! It was you?"

"The one and only."

"Oh Mikey! You saved me!"

"Mikey, huh? I like this new nickname."

We danced together on a few songs. It was our sixth one, I guess, when he suddenly said, "Gosh that guy is now giving me the creeps. Why is he staring at us, like that?"

I turned around to find the Devil himself leaning against one of the counters, looking at us with a look that makes me want to crawl inside a burrow.

"You know him, Adela?", Mike asked.

Even if I know he has a good hearing, still, due to the loud music, I said a bit loud for his sake,

"No."

I actually heard a bit of his feral growl, as I turned around to dance with Mike.

We danced on two more songs. Never did I look back at Abner, except for once, when Mike had twirled me. He looked into my eyes, as he downed a glass of some kind of alcohol.
I pretended as if I never saw his eyes and the tears almost threatening to spill out of them.