chapter two

"you don't need to worry, mr. ellis. this is work for me. and i promise i will keep it strictly professional at all times."

"good." he replies, still sizing me up. "your last boss told me the same thing about you, ms. copeland, which is why i was so interested in hiring you. how quickly can you get started?"

"i mean, i still have some things to sort out." for example, moving my shit halfway across the country. "but i can start working next week."

"perfect, that's great. once you get all that paperwork filled out, athena here will show you where your office is. after that, i'll bring you down to meet the guys which should be finished in an hour due to their practice. they'll be pleased to see you."

☯︎

i'm damn near running down the hallway after athena, a woman who was around about a few years older than me and wore this stern look on her face, seemingly all the time. she leads me down another long hallway, and whilst we pass by it, male voices echo through the closed double doors.

as we reach the end, athenas' hand motions to the door on the left. "this will be you." her gaze turns towards me, and she rolls her eyes dramatically as she watches my smile widen.

i'm grinning like a madman, but at least i could have my own space and privacy up in all this. i glance at the door, and a plaque embellished with the acronym, 'm.o.m' stands out against the gold banner.

for a fleeting moment, i debated on whether to ask athena to take a picture with me standing beside the door. this was a moment i wanted to remember, but she cuts her eyes at me when i look at her and i press my lips together deciding against it.

"i'll just leave you here to do–" she glances down at me, a smirk spread across her lips. "whatever it is you are doing." her voice was dripping attitude, but i didn't care.

my hand pauses on the doorknob hesitantly, taking a deep breath as i push the door open. before i manage to get the door open halfway, the sound of sniffling welcomes me first, and i stop and stare at the woman in panic.

"oh my god, i'm so sorry. i must be in the wrong office."

a set of empty eyes fly my way, the blonde-haired woman shaking her head. "no, probably not. i'm just getting the last of my stuff together, they didn't give me time to pack."

her eyes were red from crying and she was sniffling a lot, and it was just so awkward that potentially i was replacing this woman who was shoving everything into her bag and a small cardboard box.

"i can just go." i take a few step backwards, but she waves me off with her hand.

"no need. i'm practically done." it was obvious this was the right office, athena led me here. and plus, the job was clearly listed on the door.

"you must be the new mom." she didn't make eye contact with me as she says it, her voice running through me.

"i'm sorry, the new mom? i'm the manager of–"

"yeah. yeah, i know. the new manager of media, you're the new mom." she rolls her eyes, finishing her sentence off with a grunt. "you're way too pretty."

"um, thank you?" i accept her backhanded comment.

she tosses the last of her belongings into her bag, hoisting it onto her shoulder, as well as picking up her box. she makes a beeline for the door, glancing back at me as she pushes her way out of the exit.