epilogue

"baby? there's someone at the door for you."

i peek my head out of our bedroom, before glaring up at my soon to be within hours husband. "what are you doing here?" i hiss loudly, ducking back into the bedroom so he couldn't see me. i've clearly stated he should stay away as it's bad luck to see the bride before the ceremony.

he, pure usual odell fashion laughed it off, and told me there was no way it could wreck us. and that if fate tried, he would gladly beat her down. which of course made me smile. however, he's supposed to gone. and he knows it. yet here he is, telling me i have a visitor.

"you really need to come down."

"you really need to leave, odell!"

he's quiet for a second, prior to hearing him take the steps two at a time. "listen," he tells me, pulling me close. "i only can't see you once your dress is on. i looked it up online, okay. and this?" he nods his head towards the stairs. "is something i should be here for."

"fine." i throw my arms up, sliding out of his embrace and stomping towards the stairs. i stop dead in my tracks halfway down, feeling all the colour drain from face.

"dad?" i stare at the man from the front door, who looks far different than the last time that i saw him. he's aged a bit, but that's not what's so different. this man who was always so sure of himself, looks like he's about to faint. "what are you doing here?"

"it's my baby girl's wedding day." i watch his adams' apple bob as he swallows hard, before glancing up at odell.

"did you–"

"hear him out, ira."

my dad takes a few steps towards me, as i slowly make my way down the rest of the staircase. "i think this moment is hard for any dad. but, ira-reice. i have to tell you, i feel so much better knowing that you'll be with odell. he's a good man, and i'm certain he'll take very good care of you."

"yeah he is a good man, unlike you."

"i deserve that." he nods, looking up at odell. "can i have a few minutes alone with her?"

"she has a voice of her own." i glare between the two of them. odell replies with an, 'of course', walking down the rest of the staircase and pressing a kiss to my forehead before turning and heading down the hallway.

"i have to admit, i was a little bit surprised when that young man approached me." he attempts a smile, but i don't return it. i strictly keep my mouth in a firm line. "i wasn't sure if he was gonna attack me, or talk to me. i don't think he knew what to do either. but that man of yours was ready to avenge me for you and that's pretty damn noble."

"again, something you're not."

"i'm so sorry, ira-reice. for the way that things turned out with your mother and i. i'm sorry that i wasn't there for you after the divorce, not like i should have been. things got complicated and it was just so hard for me back then. it's not an excuse for my behaviour, but it's the truth. then time passed, and i felt like it was too late. i'd already let you down, there was no going back."

"is that all? cause i have a wedding day to get ready for."

"i'm not expecting you to understand. i don't even understand it half of the time myself. but i need you to know, that dna test? it didn't change a damn thing about the way i felt about you, feel about you even." he corrects, taking a step closer. "blood or not, you always have been, and you always will be my daughter. your mom asked me to stay away, and i was so traumatised over all of it that i agreed. but there hasn't been a day gone by that i haven't thought about you."