chapter thirty-six

i didn't really think that i could hurt any more than i have over the last three weeks. but damn, i was so fucking wrong. everything turned to shit even worse than before. it's over between ira and i, and i have no one else to blame but myself. now i gotta face deja.

i literally ran out of the game the other night, but not long before my face was flashed all over national news. and lemme tell you, the word of my, 'engagement' has spread like a wildfire.

before i even got to my car, my mom had blown my phone up. the voicemail she left was brief and to the point, telling me that i best be calling her right away. my sister's voicemail wasn't so brief, as she chewed me out until she reached the limit, only to immediately call back to finish herself off.

i didn't even have the balls to call them all back that night, so i simply sent a mass text out to my siblings and parents, saying that there was some serious confusion and i needed a few days to get things in order before i could talk to them.

last night i stayed at ottos' place, careful to avoid deja who surely would be camped out at my house since she knows the code to my gate, and where the hidden key is stored. like a idiot i never bothered to get it changed. but in all honesty, the only person that i wanted to explain this to was ira.

i pull into my driveway, and for a split second, i think about leaving again the moment i spot dejas' rental car.

but after i think about it, i can't. as it is, i've avoided her for almost a day. and by now she must be wondering what's going on. while this whole thing has turned into the biggest clusterfuck of my life, still. she deserves an explanation.

i muster up all the courage that i can find, opening the front door and spotting her right away, wearing a pair of jeans that show off her killer body, complete with a tank top that showcases everything. she really is beautiful.

she jumps to a standing position as i enter the room, not saying a word, yet she doesn't need to. her emotions are clearly written across her face.

"hey." i start, taking a step into the room, stopping just as she begins to approach me slowly.

"hi, odell. i've been wondering if you were gonna show up."

"listen. deja, we need to talk." i sink down into a chair, motioning for her to sit on the couch across from me. she nods once, sitting back down, resting her elbows on her knees.

"well, i think it's safe to assume that your proposal wasn't for me." she gives me a half smile.

"it wasn't even supposed to be a proposal. but you're right. it wasn't for you. before we talk about that, can we please slow down? what were you doing at my game wearing my jersey?"

i get a shrug in return. "odell, when you didn't return any of my calls while you were home, i just had to come and see you. i needed to see you. i've heard the rumours that you're coming home, and i figured we could try to work some things out."

"work some things out? deja. there is nothing to work out, you slept with my best friend."

"it was a temporary lapse in judgement, odell! you know that i loved you. i fucked up, okay? people screw up all the time. but it doesn't mean that we can't work through the past. i still do love you."

"you don't love me, deja. you love the thought of me, you love my fame and money. if you had really loved me, you would of stuck beside me when i was a broke college kid tryna go pro."