chapter twenty-seven

explicit in some areas.

ira is way too quiet as we reverse out of my
parents' driveway. i have no idea what's wrong with her, since all day long, things between us were absolutely perfect. but now she sits in her seat, staring out the window and not uttering a single word.

"listen, baby." i swerve the car over as we turn onto the road that leads to my own driveway. "if you don't wanna stay at my house, we can get a hotel. it's fine."

"no." her voice is hesitant. "it's okay, i just didn't realise that you had a house here already."

i extend out to unbuckle her seat belt, whilst pulling her across the arm rest so that she's right next to me. "yeah, i do. although i've never properly lived in it. i started building on it right before i signed on with the giants."

"but, why?"

i turn the car onto the long driveway, driving the half mile back into the woods. "it's a long story." and not a very good one. she remains quiet. i sigh, pulling off to the side and shifting the car in park, turning myself towards her.

"you know that guy you were speaking to today, when you were sitting by the pool? the asshole that literally tried hitting on you?"

she nods. and then says his stupid fucking name. "yeah, zion."

"yeah." i grit out, her eyes fluttering up to my own with confusion. i swallow uncomfortably, trying to form the words i need to say. but, it's no use. they come out in one big jumble.

"he was my best friend growing up. we were always together, every damn day."

i perceive my heart clutch as i continue, hating to rehash this. but, for some reason, i feel like she needs to hear this. maybe then it would ease whatever's going on inside of her pretty little head.

"we played ball together, but when it came time to get drafted for college, i did, and he didn't. he acted as though it was fine. but now, looking back, i saw that there was some jealousy there. anyways–" i blow out my breath and turn away from her, focusing on the dark night over the dashboard.

"i had a girlfriend in high school. she was my first love, my everything." i laugh, despite the foul story, glancing at her for a second. "my sister made my life a living hell in school. every girl there was scared of jasmine, so i didn't get any girls back then. i swear i was the last virgin standing in that building."

"aw, baby." she smiles at me, reaching out to stroke my arm.

"yeah, it was rough." i blow out the rest of my breath, prior to finishing.

"anyways, i had this girlfriend, and i was pretty sure that she was the one for me. i went off to college, and after about a year, the redskins came calling and offered me a spot. it was everything that i've been working for, so i decided to go for it." i gesture with my hands.

"the signing bonus they gave me paid for this land, and it was enough to start the construction on the house." i nod forward, even though we aren't close enough yet for her to see it.

"i was so excited, i couldn't wait to tell her. so, after i made that payment, like, five minutes after getting the check, i went to find her." clenching my fist, i shake my head. "the good news? i found her. the bad news, i found her laying underneath my best friend, with her legs wrapped around him as he plowed into her."

"oh my god." her eyes widen, as she grips my arm. "odell, i'm sorry."

"don't be, ended up being a blessing in disguise."