chapter thirteen

i hop out of my car, sliding the sunglasses onto my face as i jog the short distance up to the doorway to the shelter located just outside of town. i swing the door open, and i'm instantly met with the sweet sound of barking.

teyana, the woman who runs the kennel, says that luna starts barking about ten minutes before i even set foot through the door. i slip my shades off and flash a smile to teyana, before stopping dead in my tracks.

the woman standing at the counter also looks shocked as her eyes flash over me, her mouth dropping wide open. all the air leaves my lungs as i take her in.

standing at the counter, she's in a black and grey graphic oversized t-shirt, black cycle shorts, black socks and retro high og shadow jordans. her hair was long and curly down her back and she was sporting a black nike cap to finish off her look.

"you like the colour black huh."

"what are you–" she starts, as i cross my arms over my chest.

i blink, forcing all the dirty thoughts out of my mind, before meeting her stare and winking. "i should ask you the same thing, please tell me you ain't taking your job to the extreme now by stalking me."

ira huffs before rolling her eyes and matching my stance. "please, stalk you? i was here first. maybe you're stalking me."

teyana bites her lip, glancing between the two of us nervously but relaxes when my face breaks out into a grin.

"maybe i am, ira. maybe i am."

her eyes widen again, as her arms drop down to her sides. "really, how? i came from the store, and you just came from practice?"

i smirk again, a chuckle leaving my lips. "i'm just playing, i come here every saturday that i can. i have someone waiting for me."

"oh." her eyes fall slightly, as she glances between teyana and i. "okay, got it. do you need a form or did you grab one? i've got extras in my car if–"

"i'm here to see luna, a dog." my eyes roll at her. i cross the distance between us to sign in the details so i can take luna out for a walk, and i stop just in front of her so that we're nearly sharing the same air.

being this close to her, i can see how fast her breathing has increased, as her chest heaves up and down whilst her eyes lock on mine.

"oh, okay." her voice is soft, so out of the ordinary for her, that all the hair on my body rises.

what this woman does to me with just a simple look is scary. my entire body feels like it's on fire, red hot lust coursing through my veins, just from her looking the way she does.

"um. hey, odell." teyana interrupts, thankfully, because it causes me to take a step back from ira, and turn my attention to the desk. "luna is, ah–" she waves her hand once towards the back of the building where i know luna was lodged. "she's ready for you."

"thanks." i nod at her, taking a few more steps back and glancing back at ira. "what are you doing here, you adopting a dog or something?"

"i wish." she shrugs. "i don't think it would be fair for me to adopt a dog right now, i won't be home enough to take care of one. but, i saw the commercial this morning, and i couldn't resist. so, i've come here to walk bonnie."

"bonnie?" i glance over to teyana, who just shrugs. "why, bonnie?"

ira grins wide, shrugging again. "like i said, i saw her on the commercial. so i decided that since i don't have anything else to do today, i would spend it by walking her."

"she might not be a good choice." my eyes flick from teyana to ira. "she's lunas' sister. and sometimes, she can be a lil difficult."

"oh, how so?" she turns her attention back to teyana.