chapter thirty-nine

"what is he doing?" my eyes nearly bug out of my head as i see odell trot out onto the field from the bench, all of the stadiums' eyes on him.

"ladies and gentleman, sports lovers and enthusiasts, we have been asked that you all stick around for a few minutes after the game. our star player, odell beckham jr, has something that he would like to say to all of you."

jas shrugs, glancing at me over the top of her soda. "i don't know. he's already asked them before the game, maybe he forgot to tell them he changed his mind."

i scoot to the edge of my seat, my heart thundering in my chest. i hope to god that's the reason why, because if he goes out there and announces that he's leaving the team? they'll be hell to pay, he just played the game of his life.

the commentators couldn't get enough of him, announcing over and over again that odell beckham jr was back, after yet another couple of weeks slump, our star player was back on his game. is that the reason why, does he wanna go out with a bang?

no, that can't be it. he just told me he wouldn't make any moves unless we talked about them first. and of course, even though we got a lot of things to talk about, i trust him. i'm not sure how or why i got to this point again but the fact remains.

he's covered in dirt and grass stains as he steps out onto the turf, but the crowd couldn't care less. they all go wild as he stands there. he waves his hand to all of them, and everyone cheers, women hoot and holler, and as always, he gets flashed a few boobs. this, obviously, is something that i'm gonna have to deal with. maybe eventually it will stop, but i doubt it. the man is frankly too hot for his own good.

a microphone is shoved in his face and he takes it. i watch him, of course enthralled, as jasmine grips my hand in anticipation.

"thank you all for the support today. i know that i speak for my entire team when i say, that there's no way we could have gotten to this point without each and every one of you cheering us on each week." applause rings out, as he grins, before starting again.

"some of you may have seen me on the news last week, and some of you might even have been in the stands. but somehow, things got even more troublesome for me. i was never able to get to her before the news got twisted."

the entire stadium goes silent, but my heart is starting to skip rope in my chest as i watch him, scanning the crowd until his eyes land on me sitting in the staff box, his entire face lighting up with his sexy smile.

"you see, instead of getting to my girl, and letting her know how much i love her, someone else got in the way, and the news spun out of control. i wasn't planning on proposing that day, i was simply tryna beg her for forgiveness. since like a typical guy, i found myself in the doghouse."

his accent is thick as he stares directly at me, taking a deep breath and opening his mouth to speak again.

"so, i wanted it to be known, that there's only one woman for me, and it's not who you all have pegged me with. you see, i met the love of my life when i really wasn't expecting it. and since the very first time i've laid my eyes on her, i knew that she was made for me. i fell in love with her, so madly in love with her. and luckily for me, i'm pretty sure she's in love with me too."

he takes a few steps in my direction, before motioning at me to come down onto the field. my eyes widen and i shake my head. he can't be serious. i stay frozen to my seat, until his laugh echos through the microphone.

"she's a bit shy." he laughs, before shaking his head. "ira, baby? i know you hear me, and i'm looking right at you. so, please come down here so i can finish what i gotta say." i can't even think straight. all the eyes in the box turn towards me, as jas yanks me up by my arm and begins to push me out of the aisle.

"jasmine!" i hiss, as odell sets down his microphone and jogs into the stands, the crowd now starting to scream. i'm scooped up by him in a matter of seconds, as he takes the steps two at a time until we're back out on the field.

i'm put down onto my feet, one of his arms slung around me, as his other hand reaches for the microphone again. "it's alright, baby." he murmurs, although it's loud and clear throughout the stadium. "relax. so, everyone, this is her." he laughs again, squeezing my side, before turning and facing me. however, the minute our eyes lock, everything else doesn't matter.

suddenly, i didn't care the slightest bit that we are standing in the middle of the football field, surrounded by an entire stadium packed full of fans. all that matters in this moment is the way this man looks at me, with his bright brown eyes full with love and admiration.

"ira," he starts, before reaching out to gently cup my cheek, his thumb trailing down to stroke my lip. he pauses as if all his words are lost.

at this point, my heartbeat has reached my ears and i'm blinking rapidly, tryna force the tears back that are threatening to fall. but the second that he drops down onto one knee and the crowd starts to yell, i couldn't fight it anymore. they break loose, streaming down my cheeks faster than i could wipe them.

"please don't cry, baby." he whispers, pressing a kiss to the top of my hand. "the moment i met you, my world changed. i know that i've messed things up with you, and i promise you with every inch of my heart that i'll never hurt you again. i will protect you with all that i have and i will always make you my first priority in life." the stadium falls silent again.

"ira, i love you so damn much. and i can't imagine a future without you in it. the last few weeks without you have been hell. and, i know that you've just forgave me for hurting you, but i can't waste another minute." he swallows hard, never breaking eye contact.

"ira-reice copeland, will you marry me?"