chapter thirty-five

"fuck." i mutter under my breath, before taking my chance and dodging through the small opening created by some of the fans.

i take the steps two at a time, making a run for the retail booth. i see her, standing with her back to me, watching the screen with her mouth open wide. walking towards her, i attempt to ignore the cameraman that follows me hot on my heels.

i really don't want any of this made public, but at this point, fuck it. maybe it will help her to hear me out. my heart swells as i watch her, pausing for a moment to let my eyes take her in.

she looks so beautiful, so damn perfect that my breath catches in my throat. it's only been a few weeks since i've stared at her. really, just stood and stared at her.

she may tell me that she never wants to speak to me again, she might tell me that she despises me that much i shouldn't even try a second chance with her. but it's a risk i have to take.

i continue walking to her, inhaling sharply in order to try and get a grip on my thoughts. how should i start this? immediately start begging? or try to ease into it with a compliment?

just as i work up the nerve to open my mouth, she turns suddenly, my name being screeched and then my arms are full. i'm almost knocked over by the force of the woman that jumped into my arms. i didn't even see her coming, but the second her smell invades my senses, my heart leaves my body.

"oh, odell!" her arms wrap around the back of my neck, before she pulls back to cup my face. "baby, i've missed you so much too. and i'm so sorry that everything fell apart between us, but i'm here. and i'm always gonna be here. i love you too, odell. and nothing will make me happier than being yours forever."

the camera is literally right in my face, zoomed in on this moment that was sent straight from hell. my eyes try to focus on deja, as my brain tries in vain to find a solution, a way to fix this mess, although i'm at a total loss. over her head, i see ira who stands as still as a statue, witnessing what looks like my proposal to another woman.

except this wasn't it at all. it wasn't even supposed to be a proposal, although i have every intention of making ira mine forever. i was coming back here to beg for the one girl i wanted, and now i'm engaged to deja?

i try to peel myself away from her, but she's clinging onto me with all her strength. she turns and waves to the camera, planting a big kiss on my cheek. everyone is clapping and hooting, a few women boo half-heartedly, thinking that i'm suddenly taken.

at least not by deja, never by deja. and furthermore, what the fuck is she doing here, grinning like a fool and wearing a jersey with my name and number on it? it's all too much.

my eyes glance over to iras', but only for a second. i notice how her eyes are huge and full with tears, and she gives me one last look before she turns on one heel and takes off, pushing her way through the crowd.

"i can't do this right now, i gotta go." i try to get away from deja, but she's got a death grip on me that wouldn't let me budge. the camera is once again shoved into my face, announcing to the world the end of an era.

"sorry, ladies. but, it looks like odell beckham jr is off the market. congratulations to our star player odell and his fiancé, whose name will surely be just as famous as her mans is within a few minutes."

"oh my god, sis

"oh my god, sis. are you alright?" iris bursts into my office the following morning without knocking—per usual—before flopping down in the chair across from me.

"yeah, i'm fine."

as if, that's one of the biggest lies i've told, but admitting how i really feel is just defeat at this point. my mind is still blown at the fact that odell and deja are getting married. i shouldn't be surprised.

he led me to believe their relationship was long over, he had me believing that he would never go back to her again, that she was lying when he told me that he was moving back to washington for her.

yet, three weeks after sleeping with me, he's suddenly professing his love on national television nonetheless to a woman who isn't me. which means that the rumours about him trading teams next season are significantly true. it's a kick to the teeth.

it's heartless and it's cruel. which i have unfortunately discovered are two words that sum up odell beckham jr perfectly.

he had grinned so widely on the tv, telling fans how he needed to go and get his girl. foolishly, as i watched for a brief second, i thought that he was talking about me. my heart had fluttered in my chest, a million thoughts running through my mind at the time. what would i say to him, could i forgive him?

regardless of the asshole he's turned out to be, the fact remains. i still love him. and frankly, i could probably forgive him. if he could explain to me what in the hell had been going through his mind when he placed that bet.

a part of me—that has now been destroyed—believed that while he did make this bet, i also believed some of his words had been true. sadly, i was mistaken. i had managed to make it out of the stadium before my sobs broke loose. and i only let myself cry briefly, bottling it up enough to make it home.

but after that, once my front door was closed? it was over. i sobbed until i had no tears left to cry. and after that, i sobbed without the tears. i woke up today feeling slightly better, but still. my heart is pretty tender.

"i mean this in the nicest way possible, but you look like shit."

"i swear to god, you're the worst friend ever." i mutter, running my hands down my face.

"i'm tryna help you, that's what friends are for." iris shrugs.

"alright. then as a friend, change the subject. please."

just as she opens her mouth to do so, a knock on the door snaps both of our attentions. and when i see who's standing there i almost cry.

"i'm sorry to interrupt," odell starts, leaning up against the doorframe in a pair of sweatpants that looked far too good on him, his hands in his pockets. "ira, can i speak to you for a second?"

"you're not supposed to be here." i can barely force out, as my teeth are clenched together so hard that my jaw begins to ache. "you gotta leave." he blows out a breath, pulling a hand out of his pocket to run through his blonde coils.

despite his frustration and anger, i can't help but notice how his arms flex with the movement, causing the seams to nearly burst on his t-shirt, that just so happens to ride up his stomach showing off his deep v-line. i force my eyes away from the sight, before slamming my hand down onto my desk.

iris flinches, glancing between the two of us as she begins to stand up. "i'll get out of here so you guys can–"

"sit. your. ass. down." i order, pointing furiously at her with shaky legs. "he's the one who needs to leave, not you." i stand and walk towards the door, ready to slam it on him, when i catch his eyes. i can't pinpoint the emotion, but his eyes are full of something.

he can look at me all day like that, but i'm not willing to fall for his shit again. i don't care what he has to say, nothing that spews out of his mouth can erase all the major terror he's caused.

"ira, please. i came in peace. i just wanted to explain myself to you, i wanna apologise."

"i really don't care. i appreciate whatever it is you're tryna do here, odell. furthermore, i'm all set. i don't wanna hear a single word."

"ira, i'm sorry."

"get out!" i can't contain the shrill sound in my voice, and i know that i'm making a scene. i just want him to go, back to his life and back to his fiancé. i want him to get the hell away from me.

"ira." his voice catches as he reaches out a hand to me, but i swing my arm away.

"please, odell." my tone softens, swallowing down the tears that were forming.

his eyes wash over me, as he inhales a gulp of air before finally nodding. he takes a step back, never breaking our gaze, shaking his head once more and turning to walk away. grabbing the door, i slam it as hard as i can, before letting my body sink against it.