Chapter twenty-five

Benjamin walked briskly towards us with a murderous look on his face, and that made Wema flinch away from me. I mean, who wouldn't be scared of the daggers he was throwing at her. As a matter of fact, I had never seen Benjamin this mad before. And even despite his annoyed state, he still looked as handsome as ever.

In a flash, Benjamin got to us.

"Don't you dare touch her again!" He bawled.

"Ehen, is she your property?" Wema was miles away from him. She couldn't possibly say it close to him, except she wanted to be killed. 

"I'm just warning you." He retorted with a deadly glare.

"Like you would do anything!" She mumbled, before exiting.

Shortly after she left, Benjamin turned to look at me with a concerned look on his face. "Did she hurt you?" He reached out to hold my arm.

As soon as I felt his hand touch mine, the blood in my body started to jubilate and I went numb. I mean, my crush was my savior and he was also standing in front of me with a concerned look on his face. As if that wasn't enough, he was holding my arm firmly but lovingly. I guess my dreams were finally coming to reality.

"Ruby?" He looked straight into my eyes and I could clearly see his thick chocolate eyes. It looked so divine. "Are you all right?" He didn't just look concerned now, he also looked worried.

"Er...sure, I am." I stuttered.

"I was asking if she hurt you." He kept on looking at me squarely.

"N...no, she did not. I'm fine, thank you." I removed his hands from my arm abruptly and walked away.

He stood there perplexed as to how I suddenly reacted. I also didn't know why I reacted like that, but I had to just leave, probably not to invite attentions or if I kept on staring at him, anything could happen. Just saying.

Closing time came and everyone were marching to their homes. I on the other hand was still in class, packing my books into my bag.

"Hey Ruby." I looked at Benjamin strutting to me. "Um...do you wanna...maybe hangout out wi...with me?" I could clearly hear his nervous tone.

He was nervous!

That made my heart leap for Joy anyways. Don't ask why.

I sheepishly smiled at him and he returned the gesture. "I...I'm not sure I can."

"Why?" He asked almost immediately.

"I...I gat to go." Immediately, I walked out of the class and I knew for sure that he was behind me, 'cause I heard footsteps walking after me.

"Wait Ruby," I halted at the sound of his enthralling voice. "I'm sorry if...if I've offended. I wanna make it up to you." He sounded apologetic and I immediately felt bad that I was letting him apologise for nothing.

I turned to look at his charming face. "Benjamin, you haven't done anything wrong. I just can't...I just can't go with you. My parent would be worried sick about me." I tried making him understand. I couldn't possibly go with someone my heart yearns for, alone. I'd choke with discomfort and love percolating in the air.

"Okay. Maybe some other time." He sounded hurt, and walked away from me with his head slightly bowed. I watched him leave, without turning to spare a glance.

I sighed heavily. I couldn't believe I had just declined his proposal. But what could I have done?

My thoughts were cut short by a voice. A male's voice in particular. I turned back to see a smiling Chuka staring at me.