Chapter fifty-two

PS: Please read the author's note below. Enjoy! 👌  

†‡ †‡ †‡

It was so funny how waec was coming to an abrupt end. Today was my last paper and I was super excited about it. It had not been easy for me during the past two weeks of reading, sleeping late at night and waking up very early just to study again. I would say, the past fortnight had been hell for me.

I woke up at my convenient time 'cause today was my last paper, and asides from it being my last, it was a very easy or should I say, unimportant subject for me – animal husbandry. The name itself sounded hilarious.

I went to the toilet to brush my teeth, after which, I strolled down to have breakfast. "Today is your last paper right?" Mum asked immediately I got to the dinning table.

"Yes o." I said happily.

"Aw!" Rachel cooed. 

"Finally, my daughter is going to be graduating from secondary school." Mum stood up and started dancing, which made my siblings and I burst out laughing. Mum could be quite hilarious at times. "The devil is a liar." She said again, smiling at us this time around.

I smiled to myself 'cause I knew full well what she was talking about.

"Ah, ah! Mummy, what about me? I'm also done with secondary school." Rachel whined.

"Ehn...I know. You don't worry, I will dance way better than this when you gain admission into the university." Before we knew it, she was dancing again. Mummy! "Chineke, I thank you o." She sang as she made her way to the kitchen but I stopped her with my question.

"Mummy, what about my phone? You know today is my last paper." I gave her a puppy like eye. They seized my phone immediately waec started.

She smiled at me. "Okay, before you come back home, I would have given your phone to Rachel."

"Thanks mum." Excitement was what ran through my body right now. I missed my phone a lot, and it was because of Benjamin. I missed him a lot. I haven't seen or heard from him for the past two weeks.

After I was done eating, I took my plate to the kitchen and washed it instantly – it was a routine in the house, before going up to my room to prepare for school. My paper was meant to start by 12:00pm.

Done dressing up, I took my animal husbandry text book out and began to scan through it. I did that just to wile away time. I didn't care much if I pass the subject or not. Come to think of it, why did I even register for the subject? I guess I wasn't thinking then. Oh, I could remember now. It was because I had to choose between data processing or animal husbandry, so I chose animal husbandry.

Immediately the time clocked 11:30am, I left the house. I arrived at the school 11:47am. Yeah, the school wasn't far from my house. I still had a few minutes before exam commences.

"Good morning Victory." I greeted my closest friend in the school immediately I got to the exam hall.

"Hey Ruby." She replied as soon as she raised her head from the book she was reading. Not many students were sitting for the paper, which was the last subject on the exam timetable, so I could count the amount of students present in the class. "How are you doing?" She smiled warmly at me.

"I'm fine." I took my sit behind her. We were seated one each on a chair, and Victory happened to be sitting in front of me.

Victory was the head girl of the school. She was very intelligent according to what I've seen and how the students called her for answers everytime. She was also a very humble and cheerful person to be with. However, she was very stingy with answers. She didn't like telling anyone answers even though she very well knew the answer. Her phrase would be 'even me, I don't know it,' yet her answer sheet would be filled up. Annoying right? But in spite that little fault, I still liked her amongst all. Most of the students in the school were just proud goats. They didn't want to mingle with the external students. Like I cared anyways.