Chapter twenty-six

"Class, today each of you are going to be coming out to solve a question, understood?" Mr Ebube, our maths teacher said.

"Yes sir." Some of us chorused.

The class was an interesting one, calling students to come to the board to solve a problem. He hadn't called me yet and some other students which included, Benjamin. He had called Chuka and Faith. Chuka got his right, whilst Faith failed hers.

It was funny when I saw that she looked embarrassed for failing hers. Bitch!

"Hey you!" Mr Ebube's voice halted my train of thought and my heart skipped thinking it was me he called. Who? I traced his finger to see who he was pointing at and it was him.

Benjamin.

He looked so handsome, with his pink kissable lips and thick chocolate eyes.

"Me?" He cocked an eyebrow, pointing at himself.

"No o. My great grand father." Mr Ebube joked. "Come out here joor! Be forming fine boy and funny enough, all these guys forming fresh, they have nothing upstair." That made some people laugh but Benjamin frowned, so did I. I didn't like what he was saying since Benjamin was involved.

Benjamin slothfully stood up and dawdled to the board, with a bored look on his face. He had had this look since he arrived this morning, probably from yesterday's chat.

Our chat yesterday didn't end on a good note. After he had sent the message calling me 'a hypocrite', I sent him a lot of messages but he ignored all. In fact, he read them but never replied. I wondered what I suddenly did that made him offended.

"Here's your question." Mr Ebube wrote a problem on the board for him. I had never seen such question in my life. I guess he intentionally gave him such problem to solve so as to embarrass him.

Benjamin scrutinized it before turning to face Mr Ebube. "I don't know how to solve it." He spat.

"You see. Guys like this have nothing upstair." I wanted to oppose what Mr Ebube blurted out, but I didn't want to look like the stupid girl in front of everyone. Or if you were in my shoe, would you have done it?

"Does anyone know how to solve it?" Mr Ebube asked, looking around to see if anyone would raise their hands, but none did, instead, we murmured to each other.

"Stephen?" He further asked.

Stephen stood up and nodded 'no'.

Stephen was the best students in maths. It felt as though he was given birth to with calculations filled in his brain.

As soon as Stephen's action was done, Benji smirked in triumph. I was relieved that at least he could smirk and that also, no one knew how to solve it or Benjamin would have been embarrassed.

Break time came. As usual, students went out to either grab themselves lunch or play outside.

I sat still, not wanting to go out for break. I looked at Benjamin standing close to the door and what I saw made me uneasy. He was throwing daggers at me. Jeez! Benji. I forced a smile at him, but he rolled his eyes and looked away. Ouch! That slapped me hard in the chest.

I felt tears welled up in my eyes. I fought the urge to break down. I can't be weak. I have to stay strong no matter what. Besides, I didn't come here for him. I came to prepare for my forth coming exam(waec) and I have to focus on that.

But what did I do to deserve this treatment from him? I have to talk to him, that's the only way.

I blinked severally to force the tears in.