Chapter forty-nine

How did...wait, calm down Ruby, calm down. I can't calm down! How did the freaking dude get my contact and...how did I even get his?! Okay, this is a dream. Scratch that! A terrible nightmare.

I slid my phone to answer the call. "Hello...?" My voice came out breathy. I wasn't sure if it was the John I know 'cause if it was him, then how did I get his damn number on my phone?! This was frightening.

"Hello Ruby." He said with his thick voice. Instantly, I knew it was him– John. Shit! How did I get his number?

"Wait, is this John, as in, Faith's cousin?" I asked nervously. Why was I nervous now? Well, I guess it was because I have no idea how I got his contact.

He chuckled a bit. "What name are you seeing on the screen and besides, do you have any other John on your phone?" I could tell he was smirking now.

I rolled my eyes as I closed the gate. "Ha! Very funny." I scoffed. "How did your number get to my phone?" I furrowed my brows in utter perplexity.

"Er...I should be asking you that. How did my number get to your phone and how did yours get to mine?"

"Huh?" I was very confused now. What was this dude saying to me? "Can you please stop with the joke? Ain't funny."

"I'm being serious Ruby. I'm as confused as you are." He sounded deadly serious.

What! "Are you for real?" Okay, this was really confusing. In fact, my head was hurting already from trying to figure out how I got his number. Who could have done this? How did it even happen? Gosh! So many questions in just one brain.

"I'm serious. I'll call you back later. Take care." That said, he cut off the call. Shii, what's going on?

I inhaled and exhaled before walking into the house.

"What were you doing outside?" Rachel, who was in the living room, asked. "Like I heard the gate when you entered and since then, it's just now you're entering into the house."

"I was receiving a phone call that's why." I answered rather bluntly.

"Okay o."

"Is there food? I'm starving." I dropped my bag on the dinning table and made my way to the kitchen. I didn't bother waiting for a response from her.

I got to the kitchen, opened all the pots but there was nothing asides from stew and soup in the pots. I possibly could not eat those without a solid to complement them. I opened the fridge and found the remaining bread from earlier this morning. I took it out and put it on a plate, adding stew to it.