Chapter 1

"꿈, 희망, 전진, 전진"

"Dreams, hopes, forward, forward" -BTS Young Forever

Shrieks and crying were all we could here as a baby made his presence well known to the people filling up the seats on the airplane.

The tangle and scurries of people moving their suitcases around. Bumping and pushing, as if things weren't hectic enough.

"That suitcase is clearly not gonna fit inside" I thought while I watched the man try to push his carrier into the cramped compartment above me. It took him awhile but he finally got it in.

I, though slightly sarcastically, admired his persistence but then again, I wouldn't want to be stuck with a fifty pound suitcase on my lap when I go back to Korea.

He finally closes the compartment and takes his seat next to me. I had my headphones on, pretending to be interested in reading a magazine I found along with the pillows and blanket the plane supplied us.

The "Royal Wedding" and "Top 10 Celebrity Pie Recipes".

Front and center, yet I still lacked the ability to understand the relevance of either one of those headlines.

Honestly why am I reading so much into a celebrity magazine?

I sighed and put the magazine back where I found it and turned the volume up to block out all the irritating sounds of the people on the plane.

I propped my elbow on the arm of my seat, looking at the widow about to go to sleep peacefully when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I quickly turned around and took off my headphones to see what the man needed.

"Sorry, but do you know how to pronounce this? My Korean is not so good. You speak English right?" He said the last sentence a bit slower than normal.

I tried to figure out my response for him. On one hand I felt slightly offended by the stereotype and wanted go back to sleep but this guy seemed in need of knowing.

He was Caucasian, pretty tall from what I saw and from what I presume, he seemed like he was in his mid to late 30s.

He had very light brown hair with nice soothing amber colored highlights that perfectly blended in along with hazel eyes.

He was wearing a suit, so perhaps he was on a trip to Korea for business. Whatever may be the case, it was pretty bold of him to go without being able speak fluent Korean.

I took a look at what he was trying to read. Boldly written in his little English to Korean dictionary laid the words.

"시간 내 주셔서 감사합니다.행운을 빕니다." [Sigan nae jusyeoseo gamsahabnida. Haeng-un-eul bibnida.] I said as I looked up to see him with a grateful smile.

"Ah thank you. This mean 'thank you for your time' and 'good luck' right?" I nod my head. "Well thank you again or um..." he glances at his little handbook then back to me "감사합니다!" [Gamsahabnida!]

I unknowingly smiled a little and in return presented, "It's no problem really."

I turn away, putting my headphones back on, and try to go back to my resting position until I felt something tap my shoulder again.

I try so hard not to lose some composure as I felt a slight annoyance erupt within me.

The plane hasn't even taken off yet and the baby still kept on informing everyone, now seated, it's presence.

I sighed again, something I find myself frequently doing, and turned around again to the same man.

"Sorry to bother you again. But this is the first time I'm going to Korea since I got promoted. I actually have never been on a plane before."

How shocking.

Maybe it's just the introvert in me but I'm not one to socialize with people.

Never and still not exactly a big fan of parties,

or big social events,

or people in general.

I just sat there not sure if I should respond or not but the man spoke ahead almost knowingly, cutting my thoughts off. "My name is John Anderson but you can just call me John."

"So basic," I thought.

But what else did I expect?

"And what is yours?"

"Alex Min" I said not really caring of going on with this conversation but I can see he was still going to try.

We talked for awhile now. Nothing much just icebreakers and small conversations but nothing else beyond that.

Plans and where we're going in Korea. Favorite foods and hobbies.

Simply small talk.

Which I absolutely despise as it creates such a thick, awkward atmosphere but nothing to obvious to click in his mind.

"Ah. So why are you going to Korea? Are you going home?"

"Yes, I am going back home. I actually just finished studying abroad in university and well one misses their home after being gone so long." His eyes shines in amazement.

"Wow that's amazing. Oh not to mention your English is very good. I wouldn't have ever known that you came here from a different country."

"Umm.. thank you... but actually I was born and grew up in Canada so speaking English is not really that out of the ordinary."

"Oh really now?"

Then, the conversation carried on about what I studied in university, my major to be exact and where I went.

I could tell he was impressed and kept trying to make the conversations longer but at this point I couldn't tell if he was genuinely interested or just wanting to avoid the quiet, awkward atmosphere.

Which wasn't working either.

The plane still hasn't taken off yet.

Why?

I wonder why it's so graciously taking it's time now.

But my prayers were soon answered with the sound of the flight attendant's voice through the intercom.

Hallelujah.

"Hello passengers. Hope you are having a great day. The captain has notified that the plane will take off soon so everyone please be seated and have your seat belts securely on. Thank you for choosing NY International Airlines." Then the line cuts off as she finishes.

"Ooh how exciting. Looks like I need to put these on now." He takes out a pair of earplugs, also provided by the plane, eagerly and puts it on.

"Enjoy your flight!" he said as he turns to me and I just nod and mouth a 'you too' before finally putting on the headphones and going to my awaited sleep.

I could feel the plane finally take off as I slowly fall into the serenity of my own dreams.

August 11, 2018

Author's Note:

The italics are for them speaking in English anything else is just plain Korean if you were to imagine it. This is just the beginning so obviously nothing yet.

Thank you

-Z (Taz)