Chapter 42

“I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen.”– Ernest Hemingway

"Will you be my best man?"

The pure question blew me away as I almost gasp, but kept my mouth closed to avoid exposing my eavesdropping nature. Although I was beyond curious at this point, I held my ground and walked away, knowing how sacred and important their father-son moment was.

I returned back to the picnic area as I sat right across from Yuki while my parents were helping each other grill more meat. We've been through about two whole baskets of food yet these people weren't satisfied. I would never understand, but then again I was used to eating way less than my family.

I felt lonely as I sat alone with my arms on the table as I rested my head on them. Sometimes I really wished I wasn't an only child, that I had a sibling to talk to, because then maybe I wouldn't feel as guilty about talking about my own problems and feelings for once.

I sat in silence for a few minutes until I heard a soft voice call out to me as she spoke. "Is everything okay?" Yuki asked me in English. I lifted my head that was resting on my arms as I looked at her face that was lined with genuine concern as she gave me a warm smile.

"Sorry," she instantly apologizes. "Do you prefer me speaking in English or Korean? I'll speak in whichever you feel comfortable with." She says switching to Korean, slightly nervous. I smiled. I could tell she was genuinely a nice person and was the type to always make someone at ease.

I lifted myself up and sat upright on the bench. "English is just fine." I told her. I could tell she was much more confident with her English than her Korean so I rather her speak in a language she was just as comfortable with.

"Okay." She smiles. "Is everything alright?" She asked once more. I sighed. I might as well talk to someone. Even if she wouldn't necessarily understand, at least she'd look like someone who's willing to listen. "It's just that I–" I start but pause as I wasn't sure how to explain it myself. "Do you ever feel alone even when you're surrounded by a lot of people?" I asked, a little hesitantly, wondering what she would think of me after I say it.

She looked down for a second before looking back up. "You know I think I can see where you're coming from. I was an only child too and I didn't have a lot of people to really talk to either." I looked at her carefully as I heard her talk.

"Sometimes you know you have so many people in your life that care about you, but you don't wanna burden with your issues. Especially if you feel like they're going through something." I nodded my head. That's exactly how I felt.

"But you have to understand is that everyone goes through something every now and then and that shouldn't be a reason for you to keep it to yourself. Your problems are just as important and should be talked about." She reached for my hand across the table as she gently held it. "I know this is weird of me to say, but... I see a lot of myself in you."