Chapter One: Old Friend

Years, It has been years since I've seen the glowing sign of Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe home to the best burgers and milkshakes ever. And I would know. I pull my motorcycle into the parking lot and look into the restaurant where so many memories were made.

My mother and father died when I was ten leaving me and my older brother alone. Our aunt took us in until CPS took us away. My brother did everything to keep us together in the system until two years ago he got into some trouble. I am the last of the Quinn family left and I am finally returning to Riverdale.

I walk up the stairs to see the familiar face of Pop Tate working behind the counter.
"Hello sweetie, you new in town?" He asked a kind smile on his face.
"Hello Pops, not new returning but its been six years so I'm not surprised you don't recognize me." I gave a huge smile and I watched as he realized who I was.
"I'll be darned. Welcome Home Kathleen."
"Thanks Pops but I go by Kat now."
"Of course. What can I get you dear?" I order a burger, fries, and a strawberry milkshake before going to find a booth. The store was practically empty which wasn't surprising since school just got out. I turn to see a young raven haired boy with a beanie on. The rim was cut to look almost crown like. It can't be?  I walk over my boots clicking on the floor.
"I'll be damned. Jughead Jones?" I say from the end of the table. He looks up at me his green eyes full of wonder.
"Thats my name, and you are?"
"I'm hurt Juggie have I really been gone that long?"
"Juggie? Holy Hell, Kathleen?"
"In the flesh." I hold out my arms as he jumps up from the booth. Time really treated him well he was tall and somewhat muscular his curly hair peeked from under his beanie. He gave me a tight hug.
"How long has it been? When did you get back? Are you here for good?"
"Whoa Jug, I can only answer one question at a time."  he lets go and we sit down. He closes his computer just as Pop brings over my food. 

Jughead and I sit in that booth all night. We talk about everything the places I've been, why I'm back. He tells me how his sister and mom left him and his dad.
"I'll have to stop by and see your dad. I miss everyone so much"
"Yeah, I've missed you too."
"Sorry the emails didn't help enough." Jughead and I tried our best to keep up with each other after I left but things just kept getting in the way.
"So, I heard about Perry."
"Did my aunt tell you?"
"She did, she told the whole gang..." Jughead looks away from me.
"I see." I sigh looking down at my hands. I mess with the many bracelets and rings.
"You don't have to say anything if you aren't ready" Jug reaches over and grabs my hand.
"His story deserves to be told... I just don't think I can yet."

Jug and I sit there in silence for a little while until he starts talking about a road trip him and an old friend of ours will be taking on fourth of July. I smile thinking back to the four of us playing. Jughead Jones with the same beanie, Elizabeth (Betty) Cooper and her blonde ponytail, and Archibald Andrews with his fiery red hair. We were inseparable much to our parents chagrin.

This became a constant theme for Jughead and I. We would sit at Pops and just enjoy each other's company, for weeks we met in that booth. I started living with my aunt at Sunnyside trailer park. One night I come home to find her sitting on the couch.
"Hey Auntie D whats up?"
"Not much Kiddo. You've been getting pretty close to that Jones boy"
"We were friends before..."I pause looking at my shoes "I'm just trying to be friends again"
"Don't lie to me girly." She stands up a smile spread across her face. "Every time you come home you are bulshy and giggly, you like that boy."
"Please Desiree don't say anything to him"
"Of course sweetie." she gives me a hug and walks back to her room. I fall onto the couch with a sigh. Did I really just admit that?

************

I'm sitting on the couch in Desiree's trailer reading a book with her dog Cookie curled up at my feet when my phone rings.
"Hey Juggie, I thought you were on a road trip with Andrews?"
"Where are you?"
"Desiree's trailer."
"I'll be there in ten."
"Are you okay?"
"I'll explain when I get there." Jughead hangs up. I can tell he was extremely upset about something. I quickly get up putting all of my stuff in my suitcase so it wasn't spread through out the trailer. All of the sudden I hear a hard knock on the door.
"Come on in Jug!" I call. He comes in pushing the door shut hard behind him. "Whoa whats wrong with you?" I look over at him to see he has some tears in his eyes.
"Archie canceled on me last minute something about working with his dad."
"Jug..."
"I know Kat I know. We worked everything out with his dad, he was good to take off."
"What else would he have canceled for?"
"I'm not sure, but its not like we have been close recently so." I turn to the side putting my legs over Jughead's lap sliding close to him.
"Hey, look at me" I cup his cheek forcing him to look at me "Archie made a mistake and I promise you I will take care of it but for now I need to make it better."
"What do you mean?"
"I was gonna get away for the weekend, maybe go to my mom's old cabin by Sweetwater River. You know how much I miss it. I also need to go through some of her stuff."
"And?"
"Do you want to tag along?"
"I'd love to" Jughead smiles at me. We sit there on the couch like that just laughing having a good time. Joking around getting ready for school to start up soon. That was when Desiree came home. She looked frantic and pulled me close to her.
"Des whats wrong?"
"Haven't you guys heard?" I look over my shoulder to Jug.

Jason Blossom is dead, the captain of the water polo team drowned in Sweetwater River early this morning. Him and his twin sister Cheryl had gone out for an early morning boat ride when she dropped her glove in the water. Jason reached over to get in causing the boat to flip, Cheryl made it to the shore but Jason was no where to be found.

The Riverdale Sheriff department dragged the river for days, until finally the Blossoms buried an empty casket and Jason's death was ruled as an accident. 

AN: I just realized I should have put this in the original AN but I'll but it here. To keep these chapters from being to painfully long I will not be keeping them with every episode gets a chapter some episodes will be broken into multiple. Thank you again for reading.