Chapter Nineteen; The Blossom's Plus One

Veronica and I decided on a shorter tight black dress for the evenings events

Veronica and I decided on a shorter tight black dress for the evenings events. One that Veronica said, and I quote, "Gives the sense of yes I belong here and don't push me or I'll kick your ass, while still looking hot as hell." There were times when I loved this girl, and her describing outfits was in fact one of them.

As the evenings festivities drew closer I made my way over to the Andrew's place. I hadn't seen Jughead or Betty since the Blue and Gold, to be honest I liked it that way. But my good luck didn't last long. I knocked on the door expecting Archie with his suit already to go. I was surprised when Jughead opened the door.
"Kat, I thought you were at work?"
"Its the night of the banquet Jug. Pop's let me out early, not like he keeps me late anyway." I shrug, not able to look him in the eye.
"You look amazing."
"Thank you" I shifted under his gaze, my hair was pulled up in a curly ponytail with a few braids going back to it, I was wearing a smokey-eye with a nude lip. I was about to ask if I could come in when Archie appeared behind Jughead.
"Are you guys okay?" He asked looking between us.
"Yeah we're fine."
"Then why are you standing on the porch?" Jughead noticed my body language and how I didn't just come right in all at the same time that Archie was pushing past him.
"Night Jug, I'll text you later." He nods as I turn following Archie to his dad's truck. I hear the front door shut and remain silent until we get in the truck.

"Whats going on between you and Jug?"
"What do you mean?" I look at Archie bewildered.
"You were standing on my porch and you weren't looking at him, something is up."
"I saw him and Betty share a moment that they don't know I saw..." Archie shuts up and starts driving.

We were almost to Thornhill when he spoke up.
"Betty and Jughead are just friends Kat."
"Yeah, the same way you and Betty were just friends..." I look at him upset "I'm not sure who is falling faster but it is destined to happen... I know that much. Come one, we have a Banquet to get to."

Walking up to one of the smaller buildings on Thornhill's grounds, I made sure to keep enough distance between Archie and I.
"You are Cheryl's escort tonight, not mine." He nodded slowly as if he understood. Once we arrived at the door Archie knocked revealing Penelope and Clifford Blossom.
"Archibald, and the southside trash. What are you doing here?" Penelope asked pointedly. I reached into my small handbag pulling out the wallet. I opened it giving them the laminated card.
"I am not only here to make good on a promise..." I swallowed hard "I am also here to give my formal apology for my behavior in the woods." I even hurt me to say, because I know I will not be receiving one in return. The blossoms are always right, even when they are wrong. Penelope sighed looking in between Clifford and myself.
"I'm the one who should apologize, I realized after bringing Polly here just how much you mean to this family." She walked forward giving me a hug. "Thank you for coming Kathleen." I sighed hugging her back. Penelope is a vindictive bitch but she had her moments where a pure heart shone through.

Later we were sitting around the table. I was in between Archie and Polly. Clifford rose from his seat clinking a glass.
"We were tested this year, as a town, as a company, mainly as a family. And it may not have been Jason's hand that staked the maple this year, but it was the hand of hope." He lifted his glass towards Cheryl who looked as if she wanted to run away. She leaned over
"Don't think they are being nice or genuine. They wanted me to fail at the tree-tapping. But you're going to help with all that." I rolled my eyes noticing I wasn't supposed to hear that. I looked to Polly with a smile.
"How have the Blossoms been treating you and the baby?"
"Babies..." She smiles putting her hand on her belly.
"Right, I had forgotten. Still, you look great."
"Thank you Kat. How did you get her?"
"I had a trick up myself thanks to my brother."
"How is Perry? It would be nice to see him..." I sighed putting my hand on her arm.
"Perry, would have loved to see you too. He talked about you and Jason often."
"Would have? What happened?" She looked frantic. I can't tell her that he killed him self...
"There was an accident. He didn't make it..." Her smile faded.
"Oh Kat" She gave me a firm hug, as much as we could with her baby bump and the fact that we were still sitting.
"I'm okay. Thank you Polly." She nodded sitting back up right. Clifford walks by a second or two later taking Archie with him. I look to Cheryl with wide eyes. I looked back over to the conversation with a burning fire. I could tell by Archie's body language and Clifford's hand gestures that they were talking about something Archie didn't like. Polly is the first one to get up and get Archie away from Clifford I slide a chair over so I'm sitting right beside Cheryl.
"Look, I'm glad that we are somewhat okay again... But if anything happens to him. You will have to answer to me."
"Don't tell me you and Betty are both desperately pinning after both boys." Cheryl said not taking her eyes off of the two one the dance floor.
"I'm dating Jughead, where I'm happy. Archie and I may not always see eye to eye but he is still a friend. He is like my family. A position you know all too well." I leaned in a little closer so that no one else could hear "And you know exactly what I'm capable of doing if someone hurts my family." She nods slowly. Before actually looking at me.
"Have you and Betty fought over the boy yet?"
"No, but she is getting very very close to him."
"I've noticed it too. Sorry she is stealing your man." Cheryl put her hand on my upper thigh in a comforting way. "Just steal him back. Remember which one of you his is dating." she gives me a wink. Clifford looks over and starts arguing with Cheryl. It all happened so fast that I don't quite hear what was said, but a few minutes later Clifford is dragging Cheryl to the side of the Banquet where she starts screaming before storming out. I get up and start to walk out. When Penelope stands
"Where are you going?" She asks kindly. I glance over her shoulder to see Archie run after her.
"I need some fresh air." I give her a smile before briskly walking where Cheryl and Archie just exited the room. I grab my jacket off of the hanger before stepping into the cold.I follow the tracks in the snow until I see Archie walking towards Cheryl by the pool. Cheryl hadn't grabbed a jacket and she was clearly freezing. I stood far enough back that they couldn't see me, but sadly that meant that I couldn't hear them. But I didn't need to hear them to see what happened next. Cheryl took a step towards Archie and kissed him, he pulled away looking shocked. Archie turns and starts to walk away. I step out of the shadows and hold out my hand.
"Come on Arch, I think its time to get home." He nods taking my hand as he jumps around the big tree roots. We are walking towards the cars when Archie stops.
"Kat listen." We hid behind a bush.
"They seem satisfied, but Uncle Bedford keeps asking about the drive-in land." It was Penelope and Clifford
"I am so close to getting that land back. Hermione Lodge will crumble." Archie and I look at each other. My heart breaking in my chest.
"Who would have thought she'd prove so resourceful?" Penelope sighed. "Maybe you should've sent her to jail instead of Hiram." I cover my mouth, tears pricking at my eyes.
"Poor Ronnie..." I whisper through my hand.
"Come on, we gotta go..." I nod following Archie to the truck. We round the side of the house Archie squeezing the bridge of his nose.
"Archie!" Cheryl calls. We turn around "I thought it was Cinderella that ran away from the ball, not prince Charming." I rolled my eyes taking a step forward. Archie held out his arm telling to let him handle this.
"Cheryl, I can't do this right now. I'm leaving." He looks at me "We're leaving" I sigh looking at the ground.
"Archie Andrews, if you leave the radiant sun that is the Blossom family stops shining on you. And everything we've given you, including Brandenburg, disappears. Are you sure you want to give that up?" I pull on Archie's arm. "Are you sure you want to do that to your dad?" I went to tackle Cheryl but Archie held me back.
"Cheryl, I came her as a favor to your mom, to help you." Cheryl scoffs that just makes me want to tackle her more.
"Oh, Archie, don't start lying now. You may not anything from me but you do from my mom and dad, that's why you're here." I stop lunging towards Cheryl long enough to realize she was telling the truth, Archie had fallen into the devilishly laid trap that the Blossom clan had set up." She sighs a little "Which means, as much as I want you to be better than everyone else... you're not. You're just like the others." I roll my eyes before climbing into the truck. I knew tonight hurt Cheryl but I wanted to get out of the snow.