Chapter Twelve: The Story Unravels

Jughead ends up staying over, though not much sleep happened. Both of us are so stressed about Betty, and I couldn't stop thinking about Polly. The next morning I walked out of the room. Jughead had gotten up a few minutes earlier to shower. I was walking around the small kitchen area making breakfast, the way I had done so many times. Jughead walks up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist.
"Good morning." I whisper
"Morning" He kisses my shoulder sending shivers all through my body. "I could get used to this" I can feel his smirk on my shoulder.
"Used to what?"
"Coming out of the shower to you making breakfast in a shirt and underwear." He chuckles causing me to blush lightly. I turn around and look up into his green eyes, his hands still resting on my waist mine going up around his neck. He had a pair of jeans on but he didn't have on a shirt yet.
"You need to get dressed..."My hand slowly moving down his chest to the top of his jeans. His breath hitched as it happened "Cause if you don't we are going to be late for school."
"Is that so?" Jughead smirks and picks me up sitting me on the counter. I giggled as he moved in between my legs. The giggles continue as he kisses me lightly.
"Jug..."I sigh quietly, I didn't want this to stop but I was still worried about Betty. "We need to check on Betty" he sighs too and nods slowly.
"Do have a shirt I could borrow?"
"Yeah, I'll grab one." Jughead moves away from me and eats his breakfast, I hop off the counter and walk back into my little room. I open Perry's box of stuff and pull out a plain grey shirt. I quickly get dressed, a dark green cropped tank top with a grey flannel and black jeans that have holes in them (That aren't preripped). I walk out of my room and throw the shirt to Jughead. I sit on the couch and put on my all black high tops. Jughead looks at me and smiles.
"How are you so beautiful?" I chuckle
"I'm really not Juggie, I just know what I like and what looks good on me" I shrug standing. He takes my hand shaking his head.
"You look amazing as always" he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear.
"Lets go check on Betty" I sigh and he nods. The two of us walk through the streets of Riverdale holding hands, as we reach the Cooper household I sigh.
"They are still here"
"Straight to her room then" Jughead shrugs as we walk to grab the ladder that Hal has behind the house, we set it up quietly and I follow Jughead up. He knocks on the window it quickly slides open. He climbs in and turns around holding out his hand to help me up. I climb in the room to notice Betty's smile fading at the idea of me being here. I glare over at her while Jughead talks.
"You haven't gone full Yellow Wallpaper on us yet, have you?" Betty sighs looking at the ground.
"They're crazy." My glare softens, I had seen first hand the way Alice and Hal Cooper could get when they felt threatened. "My parents are crazy." I sigh
"They're parents. They're all crazy" Jughead speaks up
"Ain't that the fucking truth..." I mumble under my breath. Jughead sadly looks over to me. Betty, Jughead, and I were the poster children for crazy parents, even when mine were alive.
"No, but what if..." Betty stops herself before "What if Polly is, too? I mean the way she was talking to me, the way she looked at me... and now, all I can think is, 'Maybe I'm crazy like they are.'" Jughead reaches out and puts a hand on Betty's shoulder.
"Hey. We're all crazy." Jughead says, I don't like how close they are leaning so I speak up.
"We're not our parents, Betty." Jughead leans away making sure I know he isn't trying anything.
"We're not our families."Jughead continues. Jughead steps away and takes my hand. We all awkwardly stand there for a few seconds before Betty's eyes go wide.
"The car." she looks excited. "Polly talked about a car Jason had stashed for them down Route 40 near some sign. If we can find it, we can confirm Polly's story." Betty looks between the two of us.
"One way or another." Jughead and I say in unison.
"I need to know" I nod slowly.
"Guys the variety show is tonight, I can't miss it..."
"We can do this Kat its okay" Betty says standing closer to Jughead,
"Its okay, Kat." Jughead puts his arm around my shoulder.

The day flies past as I hang with Kevin all day getting the auditorium ready for tonight. We were hanging up the last banner when Kevin finally asked what he had been thinking.
"You seem like you are in a mood. Whats wrong?" I sigh and look over at him. I answer while climbing down the ladder
"Betty and Jughead are hanging out tonight while I'm here."
"You can go with them if you want to..."
"No. I need to show Jughead that I trust him. Not to mention, I have to work tonight for year book." Kevin nods
"If anything happens I'm here for you"
"Thanks Kev" I hug my friend before looking at the final banner with a smile.

Later that night I am walking around in my jeans and a Riverdale high shirt that I have cut up to make more grungy. I am taking pictures of people filing in and chatting before I walk back stage.
"Can a few of the acts step over here please!" I call. Archie, Veronica, and the Pussycats walk over. "Perfect, group together like you like each other" They do as told and I snap a few pictures. "Thank you very much. Break a leg" I smile at them before running after Kevin to get some pictures and a quote. I'm standing out in the crowd as Kevin walks out onto the stage.
"Hello, Riverdale High, and Welcome to the 75th annual Variety Show!" The crowd cheers and Kevin smiles waiting for it to die down some. I take some pictures as the Pussycats walk out on stage, making sure there was no flash. I continue snapping pictures through their entire performance.

***********

//Jughead POV//

I could tell that Kat hated the idea of Betty and me going on a witch hunt alone, but I am glad that she trusts me enough to let me go. Betty and I make our way out to to route 40. It is raining so it is even harder to see where we are going.

Betty and I reach the large sign, Betty grabs the back of my arm excitedly. We continue to shine our flashlights around until they land on a large covered object far off to the side. Betty and I try to run over to it in the mud but don't get there much faster. I uncover the front to reveal a headlight. Well I'll be damned I think to myself. Betty gives me a hopeful look as we cross to the back. Betty and I uncover the trunk and I open it to reveal loads of Jason's stuff. Thats when Betty points her flashlight towards the side "What are those?" She asks. I pull them out getting a sick feeling in my stomach.
"Drugs, Betty." I hold it in my hand
"Wait! Jughead, put it down! This is evidence. This is all evidence." Betty screams at first and then calms down.
"Crap. This whole care is a crime scene." Really not one of my best lines but I was panicking. Polly was right, and maybe this could help give Kathleen closer. Her brother like figure's case is finally coming together. I quickly pull out my phone and take pictures of the whole back of the car.
"Okay. We need to get Sheriff Keller and then we need to get Polly."
"We can get Kat when we get Keller, he is at the school" I don't really pay attention to Betty's response but I could feel the eye roll. I text Kat when we start to head back to the school.

*************
//Kathleen POV//

"You have to be kidding me." I pull my phone out of my back pocket seeing the text from Jughead. Archie was just then walking out on stage. I roll my eyes quickly snapping a few pictures of him as he crossed the stage. Reggie screams out "Stick to football" I stand up in the back and wave widely to get Archie's attention.  I hold my hand in front of my stomach and breath deeply while mouthing the word breath. He nods slowly before looking to the side of the stage. I snap a few more pictures as he gets situated on the stole. I texted Kevin telling him Jughead was coming to get me. I almost cried when I heard Archie start playing as I left the auditorium.  I watch as Jughead comes running in after Betty I quickly run over to them as Betty turns to Sheriff Keller.
"You are all wet." I sigh looking at Jughead
"I'm fine." He smiles as we run to Betty and Keller.
"Sheriff Keller." Betty says on the way towards him.
"I got your text. What is is?" I look at the two as Jughead pulls out his phone showing pictures of a crammed car. Archie's voice is still coming through the intercom system.
"Look, it's Jason's jacket." Betty shows Keller the phone.
"Where'd you get that?" Keller sighs. Every bone in my body felt wrong as i stood by the two who were still huffing and puffing
"In the trunk of a car with a bunch of his other stuff. Jason was running away with Polly." I look to Betty with wide eyes. AND YOU JUST LEFT IT THERE? SOMEONE WANTS TO KEEP JASON'S DEATH HIDDEN AND YOU LEFT THE BIGGEST LEAD YET ALONE! I screamed in my head, I honestly didn't know why but I felt as if the last part of Jason had completely been taken from me.
"Where's the car?" Keller quickly asks. Jughead motions with his head before grabbing my arm and pulling me away. Betty stops and looks up at the speaker sadly.

Betty, Jughead, and I all run into the Sister's of Quiet Mercy. Jughead never letting go of my hand for a second. Betty opens Polly's door and inside we find a shattered window
"Polly..." I tighten my grip on Jughead's hand starting at the Window speckled with Polly's blood. Jughead and I walk towards the window and stare out to see if maybe Polly left a trail behind her.

We got word later that night, not only had we lost Polly but the car Betty and Jughead had found was set a blaze after they left the scene of the crime. That night as I sat in the booth at Pop's with Jughead I knew one thing, I would find Jason's killer and I would make them pay.