Chapter 24: The Tell Tale Heart

***Kat POV***

Polly sat there unresponsive for a few seconds, her gaze then found me and her eyes softened more than they already were.
"I apologize for being so insensitive when asking about him."
"The truth was kept from you for too long. You and Cheryl have fun getting ready, I'm needed back at your house."
"You are staying at my house?"
"In your room if that's okay, I had no where else to go." I glance up a Cheryl with sad eyes. Cheryl couldn't look at me because we both knew it was my fault that her family hated me.
"Of course its okay Kathleen, thank you for stopping by." I smiled at the pregnant girl before standing.
"I will see you both tonight." They nodded and I made my way out of the house.

A little while later I'm standing in the mirror behind Polly's door. I hear a small knock.
"Come in." I walk to the only larger bag I own. I squat down in front of it pulling out a small black Jewelry box.
"Kat, everyone will be here- Holy hell are you wearing pink?" I chuckle standing up. The dress fit perfectly I had my hair pulled up in a high ponytail all of it curled to look as if i had a hair piece on, there were a total of three braids going back to the ponytail and some smaller curls to frame my face. I had red and pink shimmer eye makeup complements of Alice.
"I know its a strange sight." I chuckle taking off the necklace holding my parents rings. I quickly slip them on to two of my fingers. Mom's fitting perfectly on my ring finger dad's having to go on my middle finger on my left hand. "Would you mind?" I pull out a silver locket that has a rose engraved on the front. Betty comes up behind me and for the first time all evening I got a good look at her dress. It was simple and sleek, a light grayish blue with some purple undertones, her blonde hair all swept to one side.

"Where did you find a dress like this?" Betty and I made eye contact through the mirror.
"My mom's closet... She kept every dress she ever owned. She wore this one to her Sophomore homecoming. Kevin and I decided it was perfect."
"As always he was right." She chuckles. We both stand there laughing for a few seconds.
"Betty, what do you think is going to happen tonight?"
"What do you mean?"
"We are going to have dinner with two parents from the southside, one of which your mother thinks had something to do with Jason's murder... If I wasn't close to them, her case was strong..."
"What are you saying Kat?" Betty crosses her arms in front of her.
"I have nothing but a bad feeling..."
"Well let that go and lets go have dinner, yeah?" She turned and left the room. I could hear Alice and some other voices talking about how nice she looked. I sighed taking one last look at my dress and sliver heels before leaving the room, grabbing my small purse hanging off the door.

I come around the corner at the top of the stairs
"Oh there she is..." Alice starts but slowly trails off as I come down the stairs. Des covers her mouth as some tears form in her eyes, Jughead has the biggest smile plastered across his face and FP just looks proud.
"You clean up good kid." He jokes.
"Oh my beautiful girl, you look just like your mother." Des gives me a big hug before finally letting Jughead close.
"I'm utterly speechless..." He smiles looking me up and down.
"In a good way I hope." I chuckle.
"In the best way possible" He leans in whispering to me. I smile as we head to the dinning room table.

We all dig in, making small talk along the way but not delving into much.
"Super-delicious, Mrs. C." Jughead smiles up at Alice who had just come back to the table.
"Sure is, Alice. Been a long time since I ate something that didn't come in a combo meal or snack pack." FP looks between Des and Alice.
"So, FP..." Alice sighs, I instinctively put my hands under the table leaning away from the convo. FP just hums a response.
"Betty tells me that you're working for Fred Andrews now. How do you balance that with all of your other responsibilities?"
"You mean like being a father?" FP seems to notice how tense I've gotten.
"And being a part of the Southside community." Alice says quickly.
"Mom." Betty says forcefully. Des just starts laughing from the head of the table next to FP.
"You can say 'Southside Serpent,' Alice. I'm not ashamed." FP looks to Des proudly who nods taking a sip of her wine. "and it's not just me, there's a bunch of us working on Fred's site."
"Making a God's honest living." Des sits her drink down shifting in her chair.
"Desiree." FP looks to my aunt with force.
"So, if you don't mind me asking, I mean, I'm just curious, how did you make your living before that?" I look up to Jug with both an apology and anger in my eyes, that was until I realized my palms were bleeding. I grab my napkin before standing.
"Where are you going?" Des, looks up at me with a fire in her eyes.
"I cut myself on accident, I'm going to the kitchen so I don't get blood on my dress." She nods as I make a quick exit from the room.
I can still hear the conversation from the dinning room
"I scraped by. Odd jobs." FP continues
"Like we all do, Alice." Des cuts in again.
"I know that you worked for the drive-in, Jughead, before it was closed. Did you find work there, too, FP?" Alice continued the conversation.
"Pardon my question, Alice. But are you fishing for something?" Des starts to get a little more forceful.
"Des..." I can hear FP mumbling as if telling Des to stand down.
"What no, I'm just making conversation.
"Really, because there are two of us at this table who are 'of the southside community' but you seem to only be asking one of us questions. So please Alice, explain to me why you are suddenly so high and mighty?"
"That is enough, Desiree!" FP shouts, my aunt scoffs. I couldn't tell what she said but I glanced over seeing her mumble something to FP, causing his whole demeanor to change.
"Dad..." Jughead looked to try and get back to a calmer conversation. I finally made my way back to the table.
"Well, I hung out a bit. What can I say? I'm a movie buff." We all chuckle except for Des and I who are both trying to keep our cool.
"So, tell me, were you upset when Hiram Lodge bought the drive-in land?"
"Stuff happens." I look to Alice with a new sort of disrespect.
"Let me rephrase that question. Were you surprised?" and awkward silence falls over the table, just as I was about to suggest we leave the door bell rings.
"I'll get it.." Betty and I say in unison. Betty gets up first so I let her get the door.
"Hi."
"Hey" was all we heard at the door.
"Right this way." Betty comes back into the room her father following shortly behind. Des looks up at the man realizing there isn't a seat for him.
"Here Mr. Cooper you can have my seat." I go to stand
"Don't you dare!" Alice almost growls.
"Let me get you a chair dad." Betty grabs and extra chair sliding her and myself down the table, he ends up sitting between the two of us.
"I thought you said she wanted me to come." Hal speaks to Betty.
"She does." Betty says as she is taking her seat. "I mean it is homecoming after all. Our families should be coming together, right mom?" Betty looks to her mom with pride. I roll my eyes before looking at Des who still had a trained eye on Alice.