Chapter Two: New Beginnings

Jughead and I avoided cleaning out my mom's cabin, for many reasons. The biggest one being Desiree advised against it with the whole Jason thing going down. I happened to agree two kids from the Southside in an abandoned summer cabin wouldn't read well. Jughead now had a story, Jason's tale interested him and he felt like he must write it.

It was the last night of summer Vacation and Jughead was working at the Twilight Drive In. I call him in between movies.
"I'm grabbing some pops, you want some?"
"I'd love some, The usual please"
"Of course" I pull up to pop's in Desiree's truck that I borrowed. I walk inside and call over to Pop.
"My usual and Jughead's as well please" Thats when I saw her. I'd only seen a few times, all of which ended in some shape of humiliation... why she hated me I would never know, but maybe she didn't remember me. Veronica Lodge was standing talking to Archie and Betty, whom I only recognized from pictures Kevin Keller showed me. I walk over trying to be friendly.
"Hey, Sorry to interrupt but I had to know. Archie Andrews?" I point at the Fiery red head who beefed up over the summer "Betty Cooper?" I point at the girl with the blonde ponytail, classic Betty.

"Thats correct who's asking?" Betty looks up at me.
"Jeez guys I get that its been a good six years but have I really changed that much?"
"Quinn, Your order is almost out. It should be ready with the Lodge order."
"Okay Pops no rush!"
"Quinn? Kathleen?" Archie stands up, Veronica takes a step back. Archie gives me a huge hug.
"Hey Arch its been a while" I laugh. Betty smiles slightly jealous Archie was hugging me. He sits back down as I turned to the raven haired girl.
"And I don't think I know you." I extend a hand "Kathleen Quinn though I mostly go by Kat."
"Veronica Lodge." She shakes my hand and I smile sweetly. Her father has done horrible things to good people, but then again so did my dad so I can't really say much.
"Would you guys like to join us?" Archie looks at us, earning another upset look from Betty. "Maybe we could un-fill you with dread" Archie looks at Veronica with a small town boy charm. Archie Andrews you are so lucky we aren't alone or I'd have your ass.
"My mom's waiting for me but, too be continued."
"Actually someone is waiting for me too. But I'll see you guys at Riverdale tomorrow."
"Wait you are like really back?" Archie looks up at me as Veronica walks away.
"I'm here for good Arch" I shrug just as Pop call my order. "See ya" I wave noticing how upset Betty was. 

Jughead and I hung out at the drive-in for a long time, we ended up falling asleep in the control room.

*********

Its my first day back at Riverdale high, I pull of my white tank top that was over a grey under shirt and shove it into my bag. I take one of Jughead's flannels and pull it over my shoulders, it was hella baggy but I was okay with it. I braid my hair to the side and slip on a black beanie. Jughead smiles as I brush my teeth with a bottle of water.
"What?" I ask him pulling the toothbrush out of my mouth
"You've mastered the roughing it life style" he shrugs doing the same thing I am.
"I've had to Juggie, its the only way to survive the system. Especially after you come marked with emotional damage" I put emotional damage in air quotes. I shrug as Jug finishes and we start the walk to Riverdale High. Desiree had picked up her truck last night to get home from the drive-in.

We reach Riverdale High School, the place where so many dreams live and die.
"I already hate this place" Jug laughs
"Join the club. Come on"
"I have to get my schedule from the front office."
"Oh yeah" Jug laughs as we walk through the front door. I walk into the office to see Veronica standing there.
"Oh thank God someone I know. Please wait with me for Betty to get here"
"I was actually gonna go with" I turn to my side to see Jughead was gone "Never mind" I sigh just as my phone buzzes in my back pocket.
Jugs- see you at lunch
Me-I hate you
Jugs- no you don't

I shake my head smiling just as Betty clears her throat form the doorway. I turn to see her sickly sweet grin.
"Ready?" she asks. Veronica and I nod and then follow Betty out into the hallway.
"So I usually start my tours with a little history and context" Betty starts Veronica walks her heels clicking on the ground "Riverdale high first opened its doors in 1941 and-"
"And hasn't been redecorated since, apparently. Honestly, I feel like I'm wondering through the lost epilogue of Our Town." she pauses and gives a slightly chuckle. I just roll my eyes as she continues. "So what is the social scene like? Any night clubs?"
"A strip club called the Ho Zone and a tragic gay bar called innuendo.  Friday nights, football games and then tailgate parties at the Mallmart parking lot. Saturday night is movie night, regardless what is playing at the Bijou, and you better get there early cause we don't have reserved seating in Riverdale. And Sunday nights... Thank God for HBO." Kevin Keller had officially walked all the way around us until he put is arm around Betty.
"Veronica Lodge, Kevin Keller." Betty says pointing at the two I already waved at Kev. "Veronica is new her Kevin is-"
"Gay, thank god," She reaches over to him "Lets be best friends."
"Is it true what they say about your dad?"
"And That is my cue to leave, see you losers later." I wave walking away from that conversation. I get just a little ahead of them until Betty catches up then stops me. Kevin and Veronica catch up shortly after her.
"Also there is the back to school semi-formal dance this weekend." I roll my eyes just as Veronica starts again
"Oh! theres the hottie we were with last night." I walk over to Kev laying my head on his shoulder. "the red-headed Ansel Elgort. Is he your boyfriend?"
"No, he's straight" Kevin says
"No, we're just friends" Betty says
"Gross" I mumble, all three were at the same time.
"In that case, mind putting in a word? I've had every flavor of boy but orange." I gag behind Kev who elbows me in the side.
"Actually to clarify... Betty and Archie aren't dating, but they are end game."
"You should ask him to the semi-formal then."
"She should, but I hear it might be getting canceled. Cuase of what happened to Jason" Kevin continues and this time I really did walk away. I can't be around that, not today. Dads and Jason all in the same conversation. "They're gonna tell us at the assembly." I hear Kevin still talking as I try to get away from them
"Who's Jason and what happened to him?" Veronica said. And it was the last thing i heard before running into Jughead.  I grab his arm and whisper into his ear
"I hate you so much" He just laughs as we walk into the assembly.