Chapter 14* Motel Chambers

Anthony's POV-

I hear a light knock on my door. My lungs take a deep breath before I open the door to a depressed girl with red eyes and a tired smile on her cheeks.

"Hi." she whispers ghostly, her voice shaking.

"Hey." I puff out a breath at her torn up complexion.

I lead her into the tv room and help her with her bags. I place her things cautiously on the leather couch and watch as she stands there quietly.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." I reassure her and pull her small frame into a hug.

When we pull away, she knaws on her lip and stares downwards. I explain to her that I'm just finishing up packing for Chicago, we talk for what seems like only a few minutes, but when I glance at the clock it reads 7:38 pm.

"Oh my gosh!" I chuckle as she looks down at me with a confused expression.

She sits crisscross on my couch above me while I lie down in front of her on the floor.

"What?" she giggles and reaches to tuck a piece of hair behind her ear.

"It's almost 7:40." I proceed to stand up and pick up some of my folded shirts and walk to my room where I stuff them into whatever space is left in my suitcase.

"Are you hungry?" I call to her as she watches me from the living room.

"Not really. Are you?" she ponders picking at her chipped painted nails.

"No, that burger was huge." I wink at her before zipping up my suitcase. Her cheeks grow red as she turns the other way.

I smirk and plug my phone into a speaker. My fingertips press the play button on my music and 'Runaway' comes on by Ed Sheeran. How ironic. I hear Lexi gasp loudly.

"What is it?" I smile walking over and kneeling in front of her, her eyes are wide and she's covering her mouth.

"My mom!" she groans throwing her head back and staring at the ceiling.

"What about her?" I laugh lightly, putting my hand on her knee to keep my balance.

"She left for France today!" she sighs and runs her fingers through her thick, dark hair.

"Oh." I pause thinking, "So you don't have anywhere to stay?" I say smiling at her.

She shakes her head slowly and pulls her knees to her chest. For a moment all is silent and the only noise we hear is the music.

'Its been a long day and I'm on side of the road way.'

Ed sings, the lyrics bouncing all around us.

"Would you, want to um, maybe- possibly.." I stutter nervously.

"Spit it out Chambers!" she giggles, playfully pushing my shoulder.

"Would you want to come to Chicago with me?" I let out the big elephant in the room.

Everything falls silent, but this time the song is over and I can only hear my heavy breathing.

"Really?" her eyes fill with an unreadable expression. The color comes back to her face and she seems just a little happier than when she showed up at my door 2 hours ago with sadness coating her emotions.

"Sure, you could stay with me tonight and-" before I can finish she squeals loudly and jumps on top of me wrapping her arms around my neck, causing me to fall backwards onto the carpet.

I open my eyes and she's basically laying on top of me with a huge grin pasted on her rosey cheeks. I've never seen her this happy.

"Your the best Anthony!" she smiles and envelopes me in a hug again. She smiles before standing up and helping me to my feet.