Cooking.3

Basically, Iowa is the anti-England when it comes to cooking. She can cook like a god, especially because the American Midwest is basically where all of the stereotypical American farms are, so she has plenty of fresh resources at her fingertips.

Chapter 3

"Alfred, why hasn't your government done anything?" Matthew asks as Juan tends to their brother's injury.

"I don't know Mattie. I wish they would do something though. Take examples from other countries. Make it harder to get a damn gun. Maybe not sell them at fucking garage sales," Alfred hissed as the rubbing alcohol Juan is using stings his wound. "Most of the time the guns are obtained legally too - fuck Juan, don't press so hard."

"Sorry hermano," Mexico apologizes.

"Is that Iowa's Frestelse?" Texas asks suddenly. All of the conscious people in the room stop what they're doing and inhale deeply.

"It is!" Alfred exclaims. "Seems like we're having casserole and," he pauses, inhaling again. "Stroganoff with Swedish meatballs tonight."

"Hell yeah!" Texas exclaims, punching the air. Iowa's cuisine can't be rivaled. Personally, her steaks are Juan's favorite as you can't get them anywhere else, but many of the states have great barbecue.

A knock comes at the door as Mexico finishes wrapping Alfred up.

"I'll get it" Texas volunteers. He gets up and walks over to the front door, opening it to reveal Hungary, Prussia, Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Russia, and Japan.

"PA! Your parents, boyfriend, the rest of your family are here!" Texas shouts, even though Alfred is on the couch in the living room, thirty feet away.

"I can tell, Tex" Alfred laughs as his son lets in his family. The news playing on the radio in the kitchen is suddenly turned up.

"Another shooting in Florida-"

"Shut up guys!" Iowa shouts from the kitchen.

"At least seven dead, including the gunman. The total numbered of injured are currently unknown, but it's estimated to be 10-13."

Then the channel is changed to the nearest rock station and the sound of Red Hot Chili Pepper's Scar Tissue replaces the staticky voice of the reporter.

The mood immediately dampens and America puts his head in his hands.

"Pappa! We're probably going to have some more visitors tonight or tomorrow!" Iowa calls from the kitchen.

"I figured!" Alfred calls back, sitting up with a grunt.

"I smell Frestelse~!" Denmark exclaims, running into the kitchen and lightening the mood.

"And Stroganoff!" Tino shouts after a moment, following Denmark. Sweden follows his lover and brother into Iowa's kitchen.

"Are you alright, Alfred-san?" Kiku asks, eyeing the bandages around his stomach.

"Yeah. I didn't even feel it" America directs the last statement to Russia, who looks at his lover concerned. Nevertheless, Ivan moves to Alfred and helps him sit up, frowning at the smaller man's wince.

"How is Florida?" Hungary asks, concerned.

"She's asleep" Matthew answers. "She's up in the room Iowa keeps for Alfred."

"I should probably wake her up, actually" Alfred realizes, noticing that it's 6:50 PM. He tries to stand but Russia pulls him back down with a small growl. Alfred frowns but kisses Ivan's jaw.

"Eww" Texas makes a face at his dad and Russia.

"I'll do it," Hungary says, amusement in her voice.

"Tell her Iowa's making Swedish. Even Michigan and Ohio stop fighting during football season over this stuff. We could settle wars with some good, Midwestern and American South cooking. " Texas tells Hungary, who laughs.

"Sure thing," she says before going upstairs.

"Food's ready!" Iowa calls from the kitchen, followed by the sound of a wooden spoon hitting flesh.

"Ow!" Prussia shouts from the kitchen. "Why did you hit the awesome me?"

Alfred laughs, knowing that Prussia probably tries to pick off a meatball and eat it. Ivan helps his lover off of the couch, despite America's protests that he's fine, that Florida is in worse shape, and that it's only a small wound. Russia is stubborn as ever though.

"I'm going to help Hungary get Florida down here," Texas tells his dad, who nods.

Alfred and Ivan move through the kitchen, into the dining room where everyone else is already seated and sure enough, there's Frestelse and Stroganoff with Swedish meatballs in the center of the table. Alfred makes sure that there's an extra space for Florida next to him, and area for Texas and Hungary next to where Florida would sit.

Speaking of Florida, the state herself, along with her brother and Hungary enter the room. She looks a little pale and gaunt, but other than that she seems fine.

"Feeling better, Flor?" Alfred asks as she sits down next to him.

"A bit yeah," the state assures as Texas and Hungary sit down and food gets passed around.

While eating, Denmark and Prussia make obscene noises over the cooking, only to be hit over the head by Norway and Hungary respectively.

"You really do make awesome food, Iowa" Prussia compliments, causing the flyover state to blush.

"Thanks, Uncle Gil" Iowa responds.

Idle chatter fills the silence until Matthew's phone rings. He sighs, motions for everyone to be quiet, and answers the phone, putting it on speaker.

"Mathieu, are you with Alfred?" France's voice is heard.

"Yes, and?" Matthew asks, smiling at his little joke.

"Improve jokes" Alfred whispers with a quiet laugh.

"Can we speak to him?" This time it's England. "We still want to know about that Iowa girl." Matthew looks at Alfred, making eye contact with his twin.

'Should we tell t?' Matthew mouths, but Alfred shakes his head.

'Tell him that we're eating and to call tomorrow.'

Matthew nods and does as his twin suggests. "He's eating right now, he'll call you tomorrow as it's later here."

England and France said goodnight to Matthew and hung up.

"Okay," Alfred announces. "We've got 12 hours to come up with a plan."

I didn't intend for Rusame, it just kind of happened...