States.5

Chapter 5

France, Spain, and England arrive at the manor America had listed as his address on a form from some time ago. There's a large garage that looks more like a row of storage units, and it's filled with cars. Both the manor and large garage are on the other side of the gate that the three are facing.

Spain wasn't supposed to come, but he did anyway, saying that he had colonized America as well. The other two agreed to let the Spaniard come along, and now they were on the wrong side of a gate, without an idea of how to get in.

"So how do we get in?" Francis asks.

"How am I supposed to know?!" Arthur demands.

On the other side of the gate, a figure comes jogging up to the trio.

"Hey," Alfred says, a large fake smile on his face. "Sorry about this" he gestures to the gate. There's a keypad on his side, covered by a patch of fake grass. Alfred lifts it up, types in the code, and replaces the patch as the gate starts to slide open.

"Security and all. The code wasn't working from inside," the American lies.

In actuality, he and everyone else coming from Iowa had just got there and had landed Iowa's jet in the airfield some ways behind the manor. Everyone else had gone in through the back to warn all of the states, and Alfred went up to greet the incoming countries. Spain wasn't supposed to be there, but Alfred went with it.

"C'mon in," America welcomes as the three countries walk through the gate and follow him up the trail.

"You have quite a few people here, Alfred" Arthur points out, referring to the packed garage.

"I have a lot of people over," Alfred answers.

The rest of the walk is pretty silent. Once they get to the front porch, Alfred stops and takes a deep breath, facing his colonizers.

"There are going to be a lot of shocking things behind these doors. If it were up to me, you three would be back in your own countries by now, not on my front porch. I don't care what familial titles you may have given yourselves, you three are worth nothing to me compared to what lies behind these doors." The other countries look to be getting angry, but America ignores them.

"If you upset anyone behind these doors, you're leaving. You probably won't like what's inside, and I wish that I could go forever without you knowing. Be lucky that Mattie is a kind soul and that several of us are done with this bullshit." The countries are now not only angry, but they're also confused.

"What the bloody hell are you going on about?!" England demands.

"You'll see," Alfred responds, opening the doors. "The colonizers are here!" He shouts, walking inside.

Spain, France, and England are offended but walk inside after America anyway. To their surprise, there are over 50 people standing in rows, all ranging from 17 years old to toddlers in appearance. Some are holding younger children, and one is even holding an infant.

"Amérique, who are all of these people?" France asks in astonishment.

"If you will," America says to the states. The oldest group steps forward, four of them holding four young children, none of them older than two.

"We are what were once the thirteen colonies," the first in the line speaks. "The colony that was Virginia is actually now Virginia and West Virginia, and I am the District of Colombia, also known as Washington D.C.." The states go down the line introducing themselves.

"Maine," "New Hampshire," "Vermont," "New Jersey," "New York," "Pennsylvania," "Massachusetts," "Connecticut," "Virginia," "West Virginia," "North Carolina," South Carolina," "Rhode Island," and "Delaware" are introduced. 

England's face is paler than it was when he walked in the doors. These were the colonies who had fought so hard for their independence from him. Then a thought strikes him, how old were they when the war was fought? Did he not only fight against a young, physically teenage nation, but thirteen toddler colonies? The thought almost makes him unsettled. 

"The little one I'm holding is the U.S. Virgin Islands. Pennsylvania is holding Guam, South Carolina is holding Northern Marianna Islands, and West Virginia is holding American Samoa." D.C. introduces.

"They aren't England's by the way," South Carolina speaks up.

A new group of teens takes their place and the original colonies move back into the group. These teens are a bit younger, ranging from fifteen to thirteen.

The one France, England, and Spain recognize as Iowa speaks for this group. "I'm Iowa, as you may know, and we're the Louisiana Purchase."

Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Kansas, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, North and South Dakota, Nebraska, and Oklahoma all introduce themselves.

Another group steps forward. "We were all part of New Spain or Mexican territory." These states are all in a similar age range to those who are apart of the Louisiana Purchase.

"I'm Texas," the speaker speaks again.

California, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Oregon, Washington, and Florida all introduce themselves.

"We were all part of New Spain, and so was our little brother Puerto Rico," Texas picks up the territory clinging to his pant leg.

California speaks this time. "All of us except for Puerto Rico, Oregon, and Washington were also part of Mexican territory."

"And we're what's left" Illinois grins as his group steps up.

"I'm Kentucky, and we weren't part of any of you three's territories," Kentucky says.

"Alabama," "Georgia," "Idaho," "Illinois," "Indiana," "Michigan," "Mississippi," "Ohio," "Tennessee," and "Wisconsin" introduce themselves.

"Forgetting anyone, dipshit?" One of the states calls from the crowd.