Burn.17

There is a flashback scene.

Chapter 17

After Maine took Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Netherlands, and Poland to the airport and travelled back, America called everyone into the living room.

"Alright dudes!" America shouts, standing on the couch. "The goal of these next few days is to show you the true nature of the good ole US of A! It's also Family Week at my house, where the States, Russia, myself, and occasionally our more extended family spend a week together. We're not cancelling that, just because Y'all are here. Today we're visiting a few museums here in Washington D.C." Alfred is cut off by a shout from Kansas.

"Y'all better wear good walking shoes!" She advises, causing a ripple of laughter to go through the states.

"Right, and those of you who can't survive without caffeine, we'll stop at a coffee shop sometime." America continues.

"Hamburger Jerk, you don't mean...?" Romano asks, censoring himself so that he's not on the wrong side of America again after swearing in front of his kids.

"Yep! It's Museum Day! Meet back down here in fifteen minutes, we'll be taking a charter bus into the city." With that, America gets off the couch, and the states disperse, leaving both the confused countries and the countries in the know to do the same.

|-|

Washington D.C. himself had opted to stay behind with the three infants, saying that he rarely had the chance to spend time with them and that he goes to the Museums constantly. America had agreed, pulling his son into a strong embrace.

"Are you sure there's not another reason?" He asks in a hushed tone during the hug.

"I-I don't think I can -" D.C. stops beating around the bush, "I had another night terror last night, and I don't think I can handle being around a lot of people, or even seeing England." The partially blinded district admits, not noticing that he had neglected to keep his voice down, meaning pretty much everyone heard him.

"Okay bud" Alfred kisses the district's forehead, before kissing American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Northern Mariana Islands on the forehead and standing up again.

"Alright dudes!" America's Hollywood Smile is plastered back onto his face, making several states and countries frown at the faked expression. "Let's get going!" Delaware leads the group outside, where two charter buses are parked.

"Countries on the first bus! States on the second, Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, and Puerto Rico are going to be coming with me. Del is in charge. Keep Ohio and Michigan and York and Jersey away from each other. Be nice to the driver, and don't break anything you aren't willing to fix yourself. Got it?" America turns from the energetic idiot seen in meetings to a drill sergeant while addressing his states.

"Yes, sir!" Thirty-eight voices chime in unison before getting onto their assigned bus.

"On to the bus dudes!" The visiting countries who aren't a part of America's family were staring at the country, not noticing that it was just them, America, Russia, and the four children.

The three island children run onto the bus, with Alaska, America, and Russia walking behind them. Alaska stays with Russia, holding her papa's hand in her own. England, France, Spain, Germany, the Italy brothers, China, and Latvia follow the three onto the bus.

They all sit down, Russia and Alaska sitting together, Hawaii sitting with Japan, and Guam and Puerto Rico sitting with each other. America stands as the bus starts moving.

"I know you guys have questions. Now that you have less of a threat of getting shot, ask away. Mind your language though, there are two four-year-olds, and two six-year-olds on this bus." America announces, and several nations' hands go up.

"China" America nods and calls on the ancient country.

"Did you raise all of your kids, aru? Were they all this cute?" He asks, tickling Guam, who was closest to him, as he asks the last question. America chuckles.

"Pretty much. I found the thirteen colonies as toddlers like Guam and Rico. Vermont, Texas, and California all have had brief stints as nations before they were states, so they weren't infants either.* Well, Cali was, the other two weren't. The rest of the states, the territories, and D.C. were all infants." America answers with a fond smile.

"England," America acknowledges.

"In 1814... did I-?" England looks upset, disturbed.

"Yes," America answers, without hesitation. "D.C. was an infant at the time. He temporarily lost sight in both of his eyes. Vision in his right eye returned eventually, but, as you may have seen, the damage to his left was irreversible. But-" what America was about to say was interrupted by France.

"Mon Dieu!" The country exclaims. "That must have been horrible! Your own heart and your child burning!" America closes his eyes tightly, trying not to remember.

But he can't.

Alfred was on his knees, watching as the White House burned. He tried not to scream, he had bitten through his lip in an effort to keep himself quiet. He had to be strong, even though his capital, his heart, was burning.

Instead, he focused on the writhing babe in his arms. Washington D.C., his son, was being burned as well. D.C. was crying, screaming as his city burned. America tried to stand, tried to get help as he watched the burns appear on his baby's body, but the new nation was too weak to stand.

"Shh baby" America whispered, out of habit more than anything. "Daddy's here. Daddy's got you. You're gonna be okay baby, my baby, my little District." By this point he was mumbling sweet nothings to the pained infant. "It's all gonna be okay. Daddy's not gonna let anyone hurt you ever again, okay? Especially not England."

Sometime during this, America had started crying. The country's words did nothing to sooth D.C. and the baby continued to cry. Eventually the other states found their brother and father, and eventually America was strong enough to stand again. He was still in pain, as was Washington D.C., but they would get better.

It wouldn't be until a month later that America finds out that some of the damage done to his little capital would be irreversible.

Alfred is brought back to the present by Guam, Puerto Rico, Alaska, and Hawaii all clinging to him, calling out for him in worry. Ivan is also showing his concern, looking like he wants nothing more than to pull Alfred into his arms.

"I-" he chokes out, voice thick from crying - when did he start crying? - He stops and sits, leaning down to his his four kids who had gathered close.

"Mama are you okay?"

"Daddy why are you crying?"

"Mama no cry!"

"I'm fine dears," Alfred assures them. "I'm just remembering something sad that happened a long time ago. But it's okay now. I'm okay now." The kids seem happy with the answer, and return to their seats.

"Sorry about that," America turns in his seat, kneeling on the chair and facing the countries behind him.

"Non, I should be the one apologizing, mon cher, I did not mean to bring up bad memories." France's apology is heartfelt and honest, and America believes him.

"Yes, well, as I was saying earlier. It was a long time ago, and while I, and many of my states wish it had never happened, it doesn't do week to get hung up on casualties of war." America seems to address England personally in the best statement.

"It was war, and while the reminders of what had happened will always prevail, myself and my states don't feel anger at the one responsible whenever we see D.C. We don't hate anyone for it, not as much as we could." America looks a little uncomfortable, and says a quick "Next," not making eye contact with anyone.

*Vermont had been a republic for fourteen years before joining the union. California was a country for a month. Texas was an independent country for nine years after becoming independent from Mexico.

Also: please check out my other Hetalia fic, Cultural Politics. Thanks!