67. Firm Foundations

It's me again God,

Thank You for the joy of knowing more about You as I turn to Your Word today. It's so amazing to be able to read the words you spoke Jesus, when You gave the Sermon on the Mount, recorded by Matthew in chapters 5, 6 and 7. These words I read today are right at the end and they certainly would have left your listeners with a lot to think about:

""Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law."
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:24-29‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Foundations are so important! The two men probably built their houses when the weather was good and they would have looked quite similar on the outside. The foundations were hidden and only proven when the rain, floods and wind came. The house on the rock stood firm but the house built on sand crashed to the ground!

In a similar way, the foundations of our lives are usually clear to see when the storms of life come along - illness, accidents, relationship breakdown, death of a loved one, financial crisis, depression, loss of a job and so on. If we have built our life on You Jesus, we have a firm foundation and although we still feel the effects of the storm, we are secure - we don't fall apart!

Lord, I thank You that we can make the decision to place our life in Your hands and trust in You Jesus, then the foundations of our life become secure and stable. May we continue to listen to Your Words of Life and put them into practice.

Thank You Jesus for coming to earth as a man, to teach and to love us as You gave Your life to take the punishment for all of our sins. Thank You that You rose from the dead, winning the victory over the enemy and securing eternal life fir all who believe. Thank You that now You are seated on high at the Father's right hand.  Thank You that because of Your love for us, we are made right with the Father - we are the righteousness of God in Christ!

"God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭5:21‬ ‭NIV‬‬

We praise You and thank You that our foundations are secure forever!

"When the storm has swept by, the wicked are gone, but the righteous stand firm forever."
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭10:25‬ ‭NIV‬‬

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.