A Known Threat

Laurance's POV
"Oh God. Don't worry about it. I'm not going to let him do anything to you. You or the baby." I say, rubbing Garroth's back trying to comfort him.

"B-B-But what if h-h-he has s-some s-s-sort of t-teleportation? W-We can't s-stop that..." He says, gripping my shirt and starts to sob into it. I run my fingers through his hair, slowly moving them up an down to calm him. 

"Shh... I promise, even if it feels uncomfortable, I'm not going to let you out of my sight. Not now, not for a long time." I say comfortingly. He nods and sobs into my shirt harder. I feel so bad.

"Y-Yeah... He's j-just some w-whacked up d-d-demon who d-doesn't k-know when to quit..." He says in between sobs. I smirk. Then I start feeling a gaze burning into my back.

"Oh really? I feel insulted." I hear a dark voice bellow. My eyes widen as I grip Garroth tightly. I turn my gaze behind me and I see a figure with dark brown hair and red eyes. It's face held a concreted smirk and a look of hatred that would terrify any child.

"This isn't your property Shad. You need to leave." I say in a dark voice.

"L-L-Laurance..." Garroth stutters in a quiet voice. I turn to him momentarily.

"Yes?" I say with a slight hiss.

"Y-Your g-grip i-i-is too tight..." He mumbles. I sigh and loosen my grip on his waist.

"Actually this is. You granted a friend of mine passage to this world. Remember that?  In turn for that child, " He says, pointing to Garroth's bump,  " You and your precious boyfriend could go home. Do you deny that? Laurance?" Shad bellows. I don't look away.

"We had extra ingredients to make the potion. We didn't need your friend's potion. Therefore, he shouldn't have been given passage and we owe you and him nothing." I fight back. Shad laughs darkly.

"You think he was gonna except that?! No! He still had passage. Those ingredients came from him, therefore the deal was still the same. Don't get too attached Laur. That baby isn't going to be alive long." He says and starts chanting something. I feel my blood begin to boil. I lightly push Garroth back behind me.

"L-Laurance...?"

"Don't worry. Just go to our room okay? If someone knocks, don't answer. I'll come in through the window." I whisper so quietly only Garroth could hear. He nods and runs as best he could.

"You little bitch!!" Shad scowls. I growl. As Shad starts to fade I tackle him, bringing his figure back to full view. He grunts. Then I feel the darker presence fill up my bones again. Making my brain focus only on murder and revenge. That's when I strike.

I raise my fist and hit his face with full impact, hearing a crack. I smirk. I feel my body growing larger and the same red sword being forced into my fist.

"I'm going to have fun with this," I bellow with a dark chuckle as I raise my empty fist and launch it to Shad's neck. He sputters and coughs up black blood. Once he finished he looked at me with a dark and low growl.

"Is t-that all you got? I expected more out of you." Shad growls with an evil laugh. I scowl just as his hands grip my shoulders and toss me back. My body hits the wall harshly. I shakily stand and face Shad with a murderous gaze. He laughs and charges. I quickly dodge and swing my sword into his back, pulling a cry of agony from his lips.

"I wonder how loud you can scream" I taunt, ripping my sword from his back, drawing another shout to echo into the house. He starts breathing heavily.

"You won't win this, I'm going to take your boyfriend away. Your baby's gonna be the first one to die." Shad says darkly as if he wasn't injured at all. I feel the darkness blacken my heart as I charge at him again, swinging my sword with all of my might but hitting steel.

I'm knocked back harshly, and given no time to react the stab to my abdomen Shad delivers. Once his attack lands, my pain intensifies and I can feel the steel vibrating in my skin, making a yelp of agony push past my clenched teeth and echo into the air. I wince and rip the steel from my side, throwing Shad back. He lands to the floor in a pained heap as he pants for air. I grunt as I regain some of my strength.

"Are you afraid of the dark Shad?" I taunt,  stumbling over to my enemy. He looks up at me in anger that was fading due to the over exhaustion.

"No? Well, where your going, your spells are worthless." I growl as I raise my sword and swiftly swing it into his back once again but directly below the heart. His eyes widen and his gaze weakly turns to face me.

"T-T-This i-isn't over..." He grunts. I chuckle.

"I'm afraid it is, mi amigo." I taunt and rip the sword from his back, making his physical form deteriorate and fade into the void. I collapse to the floor in a heap of pain and let out an audible scream as I hunch over, my body shrinking back to its original size. I wonder how this all happened to me. Why it was me he chose. Why me?

After what felt like hours I hear a gasp coming from the direction Garroth had ran. I shakily move my gaze to the sound and my eyes slowly open. There Garroth stood, one hand on his stomach and the other on his mouth. His eyes we're waterfalls of tears now as he stood frozen in place. I grunt and start to raise myself up.

"No, don't move! You'll worsen any wounds you have!" His voice whispers, his hands resting on my shoulders. I stop myself at the mention of his presence. I collapse again in his arms as he panics while trying to stay calm.

"G-Garroth..." I grunt.

"Laurance... Laury... I'm so sorry! I shouldn't have run off! Then you wouldn't be hurt right now!" He says, tears streaming from his hurt cyan eyes. I give him a half smile and raise my hand to his cheek. He holds my hand where I laid it, starting to sob. I grunt as I raise myself up and scoot closer to him.

"Garroth, it's not you fault... There's... Nothing you could have done... to make this a better outcome." I barely manage to mutter. Garroth sobs and cries into my chest, climbing into my lap. I smile and hold him close to me, letting myself cry.

Why him?

Why us?