vingt cinq

• One Year Later •

"I'll see you in an hour?" Isaac asked, reaching into the backseat and grabbing the picnic blanket to hand to Elaine.

"Oui." Elaine nodded, taking the blanket with a smile. She leaned across the center console and pressed a soft kiss to his lips, pulling back and picking up the basket. "Love you."

"Love you too." Isaac smiled, tapping his hands on the steering wheel. "Oh, where is the wood polish you bought so I can finish the book shelves for the shop?"

"In the closet where we keep the rest of the cleaning supplies." She whispered, Isaac rolling his eyes playfully.

"Have fun." Isaac said as she got out of the car, Elaine blowing him a kiss before shutting the door. Isaac watched her trudge up the slight hill before he started the car up again, driving back to the book store.

Elaine stopped when she reached the stump, setting down the basket and unfolding the blanket. She laid it out on the ground, kneeling down to grab the wooden box out of the basket.

She reached behind her neck and took off the amulet, setting it carefully into the box.

"Did you bring it?" Allison asked, her voice cheerful from where she sat on the stump. "Who am I kidding, I saw you pack the darned thing."

Elaine chuckled and held up the small trowel, waving it around. "Tell me where to dig."

"Right.... there!" Allison turned around, pointing at a spot on the ground. She bit down on her bottom lip, her expression unsure. "Wait, maybe it was there."

"Allison!" Elaine laughed, looking up at her deceased friend with raised eyebrows.

"Okay, it's there." Allison pointed out a spot on the group with her foot, nodding confidently. "Definitely right there, I think."

It took her about twenty minutes of digging before the girls came to the conclusion that it was not right there, Allison pointing out another possible spot farther from the stump.

Elaine stopped digging when the small shovel hit something, making her drop the trowel and use her hands. She brushed away enough dirt so that the arrow was visible, surprisingly still intact. She pulled it carefully out of the ground and sat back, setting the arrow aside as she brushed her hands off on her jeans.

"Why did you want me to dig this up?" Elaine asked, looking up and shielding her eyes from the sun. Allison gave her a sad smile, making her pulse jump. "Allison."

"You and Isaac are happy. Stiles and Lydia are happy." Allison tried to keep her her cheerful demeanor up, but her voice wavered. "Scott is happy with Malia, and even my dad is happy."

"Alli-"

"That was my unfinished business." Allison knelt down next to her, her eyes shining. "To make sure that everyone that I loved was safe and happy."

"Allison, no." Elaine felt her eyes begin to sting, her voice cracking slightly. "Allison, I need you."

"No you don't." Allison shook her head, reaching down and touching her hands. Both girls inhaled sharply and looked down when they could both feel the touch, Allison laughing and taking her hands. "You are so strong, Elaine. And you have Mason, and Isaac."

"You're my best friend." Elaine could feel the tears hot and heavy in her cheeks, sniffing to try and make her nose not run. She wanted to wipe her face, but she didn't dare lose Allison's touch.

"It's time for me to move on." Allison squeezed her hands, tears slipping down her own cheeks. "It's time for you to move on."

"I can't." She whispered, shaking her head. "I don't want to."

Allison leaned forward and hugged her tightly, Elaine squeezing her eyes shut and hugging her back.

"You have to." Allison whispered, taking a shaky breath. "I love you, Lanie."

"I love you too, Alli." Elaine hugged her tighter, savoring the feeling of her best friend in her arms for the very last time.

"Au revoir." Allison whispered, her voice breaking.

Elaine fell forward as the solid force that had been holding her disappeared, her eyes opening as her hands hit the dirt.

She began to hyperventilate, tears blurring her vision as she looked around for any trace of Allison. She covered her mouth to muffled the sobs that escaped her uncontrollably, the other hand clutching her stomach as she folded over.

"Elaine?" Isaac's voice couldn't break her crying, his keys dropping to the grass as he ran over to her, falling onto his knees. He froze, seeing that she didn't have her necklace on. "Elaine, what's wrong?"

Elaine looked up, her mascara staining her cheeks and she shook her head.

"She's gone."

__________________________

Not edited

So you know how people are like "omg I'm crying", I HAVE ACTIOAL TEARS IN MY EYES RIGHT NOW WHAT THE FUCK

Epilogue is next, and it's not any happier.

Vote and Comment.

Brea xx