Rosie & Mike [3]

It was getting dark and cold but Rosie didn't find enough strength in her to get to her feet and move closer to Mike.

For all the hours passing, she was still clung to the table, afraid to let go. She didn't know if he was breathing, her body didn't stop shaking enough to make sure if she could see if his chest was moving.
Her hands gripped the oak table, two of her nails already broken. She didn't care. She was just happy that she was alive.
Whatever happened to the train didn't matter at that point. She watched at the broken side window and then at Mike.
Was he still alive? The burning question didn't leave her mind for one second. He had been hurt badly, blood pooling to a puddle before him.

Rosie tried to feel if she was also hurt but the adrenaline in her veins had yet to slow down and she didn't register any pain.

Quick look down and she saw how her knee was scraped, dried blood stain running down to her ankle. Besides that, she didn't find any more injuries on her.

Mike though was in terrible shape.

"Mike?"

She called out to him again but he didn't react. Scrambling up this time and toward him slowly, she tried not to make the train wreck move too much.
If they had fallen down to a cliff or balanced on somewhere/something, they would not survive another fall.

Rosie moved carefully closer to Mike and the seats. Pieces of glass cut in her skin when she slid down next to him.
Her hands shaking uncontrollably, she touched his pulse point. It was there - he was still alive but his breathing was ragged and uneven.
Slowly, she lifted his head and inspected the wound above his eyebrows. Blood had stopped but the wound was still open and filled with glass shards.

Hours passed and it got dark soon after Rosie had moved Mike to a better position and covered him with clothes for warmth. She found a couple of sheets from the storage closet in the hall and draped the window, keeping the cold wind out of the cabin.

After she had lifted Mike off the seat, she exited the wagon just to see where they were. At the bottom of the railroad, down between the trees, the train wagon was pinned between two birch trees.
The had been separated from the whole thing. She started yelling for help but the silence in the air told her rescue was nowhere close.

Rosie emptied her luggage on the floor, scanning for any useful things. She had mainly packed books for her research and not for emergencies like this.
The two other cabins in the same wagon were empty, but she found the medical supplies she needed to fix Mike up.

She cleaned the wound with water and alcohol, then sealed it with cotton and duck tape. If there was inner bleeding, she didn't know how to diagnose it and help him. They needed to be found soon, or Mike wouldn't probably survive the night.
Rosie laid all the clothes she had with her as a soft madras for both of them. Without any regard to other's privacy, she dug through all the other suitcases in the wagon.

He laid there, breathing short and stricken. Rosie couldn't help but think how all of this had happened. One moment they were arguing and then all hell broke loose.

Her phone pinged in her pocket and she finally checked the messages. Alexander had called six times, then left three texts. Quickly she unlocked the phone to read the texts and call for emergency. She had been in so deep shock that knowing she had a phone on her, had slipped her mind.

"I'm not coming back home."
She read the first message from him.
"I love you, dear. But I have decided to stay here for good." Said the next one.

Scrolling down to the recent one she received just a minute ago, made her cover her mouth with her hand, caused by another shock.
"I have fallen in love with somebody else and I don't think that our relationship is strong enough anymore. I know this will hurt you very much but please, understand me too. A lot of time has passed and I have changed. I couldn't love you the way you deserve it, especially if there is someone else I care for more deeply."

Rosie was holding back tears. Alexander had been away for six months and they hadn't been talking much. The news punched her in her stomach without a warning.
She scrolled up again, finding a text from him saying he loved her just a couple of days ago. Was he lying even then?
The battery was on low, two bars left. Immediately, she dialed the emergency number and waited. After two rings the operator answered the call.

"911. How can I help you?" The woman asked.

"We were in a train accident. Heading to Seattle. Something hit the train and we are trapped in a cabin, off the rails." Rosie talked fast, considering her phone would run out of power soon.

"We have been notified. Chopper is on its way, please make yourself visible to the search party. Light up some kind of fire or flashlight for pinpointing your location. Stay safe. Don't leave to look any help."

Before she could reply, her phone ran out of battery.
"Fuck!" She cursed, desperate to turn it on again. She wondered if Mike's phone was still ok. But seeing how the accident had thrown his body against the window and ruffed him up, she didn't hold high hopes.

Slowly it started to rain when she climbed outside from the train. Making a fire wouldn't help, if the heavy rainfall would put it out immediately. Rosie listened to the surrounding for any sign of help on its way. It was dead quiet, with just the drops of rain hitting the train's roof.

Desperate to find any light source, she returned to the cabin to go through Mike's pockets. He had moved just a bit, now laying down on his right side. It was actually a good sign since he hadn't blacked out on her completely.

Rosie reached out to pat down his jacket. The pockets were empty.
Next, she touched his pants pockets. Mike reached out and grabbed her hand, startling her.

"If you want to get into my pants, then I'd appreciate you waking up me first!"

To be continued...

*** To keep reading this story, download the ebook on Amazon for 0.99 (link in bio). All the money earned from the sales will be donated to the Kids who are suffering from cancer foundation in Estonia.***