f i v e

CHAPTER FIVE: YOU AND MR. BAD BOY

River and I finally pull up to the school. It only seemed to take all day. "Wisconsin, we have to go inside now." River says. I hadn't even realized I was just sitting there. For how long though? I nod my head and grab my bag.

I pop open the door and step out of the car. As River does, heads turn. I mutter to myself and of course River notices. "Hey, we'll be fine, okay?" Once again I nod. It's just weird showing up with him. Everyone always sees me get dropped off by my mom or one of my brothers. Now I'm showing up with a boy?

What was I thinking? This wasn't a good idea. "Hey Wisconsin! Who's your new man?" a soccer player yells. I just throw him a dirty look and close the car door. I begin to walk towards the school. "Turner slow down!" I peer back and River struggles to get through a crowd of girls. He finally catches up to me, out of breath.

"You should really go to the gym. Your weak muscles can't handle the screaming, clinging girls." I say, my face emotionless. He doesn't laugh but it's River, do I care? No, not really. "Wisconsin, wait!" I don't slow down, I can't. I don't want to be seen with him. Yes, he's attractive but what would everyone think about me?

I run into the school and quickly disappear in the corridor to the west wing of the school. I see River run past it and I sigh. "So, it is true?" I hear a voice say. I turn and see Tessa. "What do you mean?" I examine her outfit, she looks good in the ripped skinny jeans and laced up, white blouse she's wearing. She does have makeup on, but not a lot where it looks like it's caked on. Her hair falls in loose curls down her back. I'd kill to be that attractive.

"You and Mr. Bad Boy. There's something going on, isn't there?" Tessa says smiling. I tug in the piece of fabric that's unwinding from my cardigan. "No, there's not." I reply. I look down at my shoes, I know, Im very convincing.

"Winnie," Tessa says and I look up, remembering the nickname she gave me. "You can tell me anything, I saw you get out of his car. Looking like a fucking model may I add." I laugh a little at her words. I didn't even think I looked good today.

"I have a feeling River has a crush on you." she says smiling and nudging me. I let out a slight chuckle thinking she's kidding, but her look says otherwise. "As if, you know I bet he wouldn't give two shits about me if it wasn't for Mr. Roche who introduced him to me." She links our arms together and we start to walk down the hallway, "I don't see why he wouldn't like you though, you're smart, talented, you're hot. Nice body for sure"

"Oh come on Tessa, you're describing yourself" She rolls her eyes and looks at me. What she does next surprises me. Tessa whips around selects the pen in the bucket and signs me up for cheer try outs. "Wha-What did you do that for?" I stutter out.

"I see you cheering all the time Winnie, you're really good." My jaw drops. Me saying I'm shocked would be understatement. I've never seen her at the facility where I cheer. "Bad Boy at twelve o clock." Tessa smiles and struts away. I sigh and turn around coming face to face with River. Well face to stomach basically.

"There you are Wisconsin." he says breathless. I step back and look up at his towering figure. "Here I am." I simply state. I stare at his gorgeous face and on the inside I want to caress it in my hands.

No, that can't happen. "Turner, you alright?" River asks, breaking me from my train of thought. Thank God he did. "Yeah, Im good." I say looking down at my shoes.

"We should get to class." he says and I nod. We walk down the hallway side by side and like every day I get pushed around. It sucks being non-visible at time like these. I almost fall over but I grab onto River. He wraps his strong arm around me and pulls my body closer into his side.