n i n e t e e n

CHAPTER NINETEEN: DANCES AND DESTRUCTION (homecoming- final part)

The song of the birds fill my ears, the fresh air sweeps around me, wishing I never would've woken up. My eyes flutter open to the autumn leaves surround me, the sunlight filtering through the trees.

His body lays there, complete perfection. I pick up my phone and check the time. 8:15. I quickly shake River awake. "We need to go."

I quickly run to the passenger of the Ram. I buckle my seat belt with River following behind me, but slower. "My parents are going to fucking kill me."

"No they won't, heres the plan, you went out with Tessa to get breakfast, I'll get you something on the way back to your place."

I nod my head and fumble with my fingers. My eyes widen at the realization that Tessa is supposed to be at my house. I quickly text her to show up later.

We stop at Starbucks, grab some shit, and speed back home. I fumble with my seat belt and flung open the car door. I'm about to get out but Rivers hand stops me. He turns my face towards his and his soft lips meet mine.

"See you later Peaches."

I run into my house and luckily my parents nor brothers are up yet. A couple minutes later, Tessa shows up with her arms full of makeup, hair products, and her dress. I help her bring everything up to my room and sadly, I'm out of breath.

"So why did I have to show up later?" Tessa asks, raising her brow as she glances at me.

"Uh, I snuck out last night, with River, and we kinda fell asleep." I explain very vaguely. "Please just let it go, I really don't want to discuss is right now"

She nods, "Here, go shower, and I'll set everything up and start figuring out what we're doing"

I grab a tank top and shorts, then head into my attached bathroom. I quickly shower and wash my hair then head back out into my room. I look around at everything, realizing how stressful this is going to be.

•• skipping them getting ready ••

I quickly throw on my shoes and look at Tessa. She looks gorgeous. As if it was right on queue, the doorbell rings.

"The boys are here." she says.

I give a slight nod and we head out of my room. "Hey River, what's up." I hear Drew say. I descend my flight of steps and notice River about to say something, but he stops when he sees me.

"Holy shit." he says with his mouth gawked open.

I smile at him and reach the bottom of the steps. Aiden gives Tessa a hug, and they honestly do look really good together. I don't know how I didn't see it before.

My mom walks into the room and notices River staring at me. "Okay boy, you can stop looking at my daughter as if you want to undress her."

"Mom!" I shout.

Drew shoos my mom away and tells us to get ready for pictures. I turn back to River and he pulls me into his side with a smug smirk.

"I wouldn't mind undressing you though" he whispers into my ear and I smack his arm lightly. He chuckles at the expression on my face, his laugh causing a swarm of butterflies to fill my stomach.

••

I walk into the decorated gym with River's fingers laced with mine. Some of the football boys cheer and surround River, taking him away from me. I turn to look behind me for Tessa and Aiden, but they're already gone.

"Hey, you look lost." a familiar voice says. I squint my eyes through the bright lights and see Quinn. "Come on, let's go get a table until River gets back"

I follow him to a nearby table and we sit down. I scan for River in the crowd, of course my date is the most popular boy at the school. I roll my eyes and rest my chin on the palm of my hand. "You look great by the way," Quinn says and I give him a smile, telling him he does as well.

About five minutes later, River breaks through the crowd and stumbles to the table. "There you are Peaches, I got worried when I couldn't find you. Wanna go dance?" I give a nod and stand up.

"Thanks for keeping me company." I say to Quinn and he smiles, "Anytime"

He gets up and walks away, going wherever. I glance after him, I think he's alone and it honestly breaks my heart. I snap back to reality and walk with River to where everyone else is dancing.

Soon enough, Tessa and Aiden meet up with us and we're all laughing and dancing. I've never been to homecoming, but this is what I've always imagined it to be like.

River spins me around and looks into my eyes, his smile so bright and mine reflecting his.

••

"Hey, I'll be right back," River says, kissing me real quick before he gets up from the table and exits the gym with a couple of the football players.

I sit with Tessa and Aiden, but I'm a third wheel, I know it. I honestly don't want to be here anymore. It's been hours and I've had enough, I want to leave.

At this point, Rivers been gone for 10 minutes. I sit by myself at this point. I told Tessa to go have fun with Aiden. I get up and fling my chair back under the table. I push through the doors and walk out of the gym towards the bathroom.

I push the door open and gasp. River. He's in the bathroom, kissing a girl who's clearly into it. Tears start to stream down my face.

"How could you!" I scream. River notices me and the girl smirks to herself.

"No Peaches, this isn't what it looks like."

"How could you do this to me." I storm out of the bathroom but River grabs onto my hand in the hallway.

"Please let me explain!" River snarls.

"No, you piece of shit! God I fucking trusted you, Im such an idiot." I yell, pulling my hand away from him.

I start to cry hysterically and River tries to step towards me, "NO! Get away from me!"

I sink to the ground. Tears flood my eyes, but I can make out a tear streaming down River's face as someone tells him to just leave me alone for now.

I get picked up and I cry into the shoulder of the boy who just saved me from embarrassment. He walks out of the school and I bury my face into him, my makeup most likely smearing on his suit.

"Wisconsin, it's Quinn. I'm going to take you back to my place until you calm down, alright." his voice breaks through the sound of my sobs and I give a slight nod.

He sets me in the passenger seat of his car. We pull out of the parking lot, my tears not stopping.