10|Always Follow Your Heart

4 days have passed since everything went down hill.

Emily was hurting badly she missed Alex very much. She missed hearing his sweet smooth yet rough voice, she missed the sound of his laughter, she missed the way he looked at her, she missed the way he held her, she missed everything about him; especially that stupid smirk he always had on his face. God she missed him so bad!

A knock sounded on her door followed by her moms voice;
"Emily? Honey can I come in?"

Sighing Emily sat up in her bed and pulled a pillow into her lap, hugging it.

"Yes mom."

Her door opened and in came her beautiful mother. Her mother walked over and sat on the edge of the bed, placing her hands upon her jean clad legs.

"Emily.." Her mom started before stopping and chuckling softly, "you know what honey?"

"What?" Emily questioned, brows furrowing in confusion at her mom's behavior.

"When I was around your age I fell in love with someone I wasn't supposed to he was older than I was. But I didn't care. I didn't care about him being older. I didn't care about him having a kid, I didn't even care that he was barely making it or that he had a crazy ex. I still loved him with all of my heart."

A faraway look entered her mother's glazed over blue eyes as she got lost in the memories; "  and he loved me. He didn't love me for my looks, he didn't love me for my parent's money, he loved me for me. He even loved my flaws and I had plenty of them I still do. my parents didn't like him Not only was he 7 years older than I and a construction worker who just so happened to have a 6 month-old little girl with a crazy ex. He wasn't educated, he never went to school."

"Why?" Emily asked before she could stop herself.

Her mom closed her eyes and sighed before looking her in the eyes. "His mother was very sick, had been since he was very little and his father left before he was born so it was just him and his mom by the time he was 8 years old his mom was very very sick could barely keep the bills paid so he started doing what he could to help her out even more than he already was he started dog walking for his neighbors, taking out his neighbor's trash, he did all kinds of chores for his neighbors just to get a little cash and help his mama."

"But why didn't he get took? All kids have to go to school or get homeschooled."

"Things was different back then."

Emily nodded and then asked, "Why are you telling me all of this? What happened to him and the little girl?"

" I'm telling you this honey because I want you to know always follow your heart I did and you want to know what I got out of it? I got a loving man and a wonderful beautiful little girl and when my other half passed I still had that little girl and she has grown into such a beautiful smart, kind, caring woman. I couldn't be any prouder of what she has become. "

Eyes wide Emily said, "Me? I'm that little girl?"

"Yes honey you're that little girl."

-

Hours later and everything mother told her was still running through her mind on repeat.

Her mom wasn't her mom but she was.

But there was one thing that really kept going through her mind, the way her mother said;

"Always follow your heart."

She said it like she knew.

Did she?

"Always follow your heart."

ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR HEART ..

Jumping up out of bed Emily slipped on her shoes, grabbed her car keys and ran downstairs and out the door but not before hearing her step dad ask her mom where she was going and her mom replying with "she's going to follow her heart."

A smile graced Emily's lips.

"I'm going to follow my heart."