15|A Promise Kept

Blood poured from his mouth and nose, his right eye was swollen shut and he was barely standing but still Alex's rage was not cooling down.

“F'ing bastard,” Nick muttered as he spat out a mouthful of blood. “is that all you got?”

A sadistic smirk appeared on Alex's face and he chuckled lowly. “Oh no dude, I'm just getting started.”

And he was. He was going to make this cheating, lying piece of crap pay for what he did to Emily. Nobody would ever hurt her and get away with it.

Blow after blow was landed to Nick's battered and bruised body. Alex's was in a zone. Rage had taken over.

“You promised you wouldn't hurt her you fucker! But you lied. You betrayed her and with her best friend!”

Even though he was seeing black dots and his body throbbed with pain Nick staggered to his feet and chuckled hoarsely. “What's it to you? Huh? Oh wait let me guess because you love her, your stepsister it's fucking sick.. And to think I was hurt knowing I hurt her but I mustn't have hurt her too bad. I mean she did come running to you and unto your bed. You should thank me you know, for giving you what you wanted. My sloppy fucking seconds –” before another word could be spoken from him he was out cold on the ground, Alex's raging frame over him, his bloodied fists by his side.

“Alex is that you?” Emily's sweet voice floated through the apartment. And Alex smiled “Yeah, love.” he called bsck before hanging his keys up on the key rack and making his way toward the kitchen where his beautiful fiancé was at, walking up behind her he wrapped his arms around her waist and placed a kiss on the top of her head.

“Where were you? I tried calling but you didn't answer. ” Emily stated as she started to turn only to freeze when she saw his busted lip, looking down at his hands she then saw his busted knuckles.

“What happened?”

She asked, eyes wide.

Alex smiled. “Nothing love, I just had a promise I needed to keep.”

Frowning Emily stared at him.

“Love it's nothing for you to worry your pretty self about. I'm fine.”

Emily nodded and muttered out “I know, it's the other guy I'm worried for.”

Jaw clenching Alex growled out “The bastard deserved everything he got and more.”

“And I don't doubt it. Now go clean up and then I'll wrap your knuckles then we'll eat.”

“Okay love,” after kissing his beautiful bride to be on her soft petal like lips he made his way toward the bathroom to clean up.

-

Later that night as they lay in bed together Alex couldn't help but think of what Nick said earlier. Was it true? Would it not been for Nick shattering Emily's heart would she and he even gotten together? Would she had later on realized being with Nick was a mistake and she belonged with him? Or would she'd still been with Nick if he hadn't cheated, would it have been him she'd be engaged to?

Noticing how quite Alex had gotten Emily thought he had fallen asleep but when she  looked up at him it was to see him staring forward a troubled look on his face.

“Alex?” Emily asked scooting up in bed and cupping his cheeks. “What's wrong? ”

Alex stared into Emily's beautiful eyes and voiced his thoughts.

“If it wasn't for Nick cheating on you we would've never gotten together. You wouldn't have realized you loved me more deeply than as a friend and older brother.. We wouldn't be here. I'd still be in love with you and watching you be in love with another.”

Emily could tell this weighed heavily on him and she let out a low sigh. After moving positions - so she was now straddling him, she looked him in his stormy gray eyes.

“I love you Alex, more than words can describe.. I belong with you. You're my bestest friend. My protector. My lover. My soulmate. And soon my husband. And I want you to listen and listen closely to me.. No matter if Nick wouldn't have cheated on me I would still have ended up with you. It might have been weeks later, months or even years later but we would still have ended up where we are now one day because you are my other half. I can't live without you. You and I, we belong together. ”

Alex smiled and whispered out “I love you so much Emily.”  before crashing their lips together in a passionate kiss.