It Starts and Ends With a Dagger

A/N: Angst, reveal, etc.

Setting: Just after the series 4 finale.

Description: Merlin almost found it amusing that his destiny started, and ended, with a simply dagger.

Disclaimer: I want to own Merlin so bad.

The room was full of life. The kingdom of Camelot was celebrating the coronation of their new queen. Merlin couldn't help but feel pride swell within him as Queen Guinevere blushed at the two servant who bowed to her. If anyone deserved this, it was Gwen. Her arm was linked with Arthur's as he led her to her throne, and Merlin made his way over to them.

"My lady." Merlin greeted Gwen, winking before giving a small bow. Gwen poked his arm playfully as he stood.

"Merlin!" She reprimanded, though her eyes were full of amusement. "You know you don't have to do that."

"Yes, he does." Arthur cut in. Merlin narrowed his eyes at the king, opening his mouth to retort. But the manservant was interrupted by a yell of pain coming from the doors. The room, which had once been full of excited chatter, was now eerily silent. Everyone was tense as a woman walked in, the lifeless bodies of two guards just behind her. The sound of swords being drawn rang out, and all the knights gravitated towards their rulers in hopes of protecting them.

"Arthur?" Gwen whispered, fear in her gaze evident. Arthur pulled her behind him, and Merlin stepped in front of her as well. The king shot him a grateful look, before facing the woman.

"What do you want?" Arthur's question was clear and loud. A smile, cruel and unforgiving, spread across her lips.

"You, Arthur Pendragon." Her smooth voice was a sharp contrast compared to her harsh and twisted features. "Or more specifically, your life."

"You'll have to get through us first!" Gwaine's statement was met with many loud agreements, from both knight and peasant alike.

"Oh, Sir Knight," she cooed. "You say it like that will be difficult." Her hand traveled to her neck, and grasped a stone that was tied there. Her eyes flashed gold, and with a single word, every man, and every woman found themselves unable to move. Every man, that is, except for Merlin. He suspected that had something to do with his magic, but he couldn't let Arthur know that. So he remained in his spot, though he felt his magic swirl within him, ready to lash out if need be.

"I have no quarrel with you." Arthur bit the words out, struggling to move. The sorceress chuckled, walking forward at a calm pace. Merlin tensed as she came within ten feet of the king.

"But you have a quarrel with magic, Pendragon." Her gaze turned hard. "And to hate magic is to hate me, and my kind." Another smirk was on her face as she began to speak again. "I desire to place the rightful heir on the throne, Morgana Pendragon." Arthur winced at the name of his half sister.

"Arthur is the rightful king." Merlin spat. Arthur desperately shot him a look, one that clearly said, shut up. Merlin ignored him, as usual. "Not Morgana." The nameless sorceress gave him a curious look, but turned back to Arthur. She raised her hands, and Merlin could feel the power radiating off her.

"You will die, Arthur Pendragon." She hissed. Shouts rang out as she began to chant, a massive surge of magical energy gathering at her fingertips. Merlin's eyes widened at the sheer power in the spell. The sorceress was drawing the magic out of herself, using it as a weapon. The power crackled and sputtered like lightning in the palm of her hands, and with a final shriek, she sent it hurling towards Arthur. Terror gripped Merlin, and he acted. He was vaguely aware of Arthur, Gwen, and the knights shouting as him as he dove in front of the king. The magical energy sailed towards Merlin, and everyone felt unable to breathe.