Day Twelve of Christmas

A/N: My brain can't handle writing so much fluff so in revenge I'm losing my ability to write well. Yay. Anyway, I hope you guys are still willing to read it!

Morgana paced her room, angrily twisting at the folds of her dress.

She eyed the unwrapped gift that was sitting on her vanity, the sight of it only fueling her irritation. Not that she was irritated by the gift, as a matter of fact, she absolutely adored the carefully made shawl. It was the fact that she could never reach the bar that had been set by Gwen's gift.

A part of Morgana just wanted to go buy half the lower town in an attempt to overwhelm Gwen. But she wanted to give her something personal.

Gwen had been her first real friend since she'd come to Camelot a little over five years ago. Sure, Arthur was great, but he was also a great fool. Morgana often found herself getting tired of his constant preening, paired with his need to always be the center of attention.

So, yes, Gwen had definitely been a blessing. And now, she had given Morgana the perfect gift. Morgana had been trying to think of something for two days now.

"A dress?" She muttered to herself. "No, she's got plenty. Plus, she could always make herself another. A bouquet of flowers!" Morgana was excited for a moment, because Gwen loved flowers! But one glance out her window reminded her it was a foolish idea. "Right, it's winter. No flowers." She sighed, sprawling herself out on her bed. "Think Morgana, think. It needs to be personal, something that shows her how much I care." She fiddled with the ornate bracelet on her wrist, something Uther had given her.

Suddenly, she sat up, an idea forming.

A few hours later, Morgana stared in disdain at the mess of materials before her, along with the mostly finished bracelet. It could've been worse, she supposed.

When Morgana had set out on her task, she'd planned to weave a bracelet with Gwen's favorite color, before adding in a small stone from a necklace of hers. But now, Morgana held the lavender bracelet, and all she could see were the mistakes.

Her attempt at weaving had not gone well, creating a slightly lumpy strip. And the stone, which was supposed to be centered, seemed so completely and utterly wrong.

With a huff, she tossed it down on the table, before moving to her bed. Maybe tomorrow she could fix it. She felt her eyes begin to drift shut and she pulled the covers higher, and had she looked in the mirror at that moment, she would've seen the flash of gold in her irises.

---
The next morning, Morgana woke to the sound of Gwen humming. Which, normally, would be a welcome thing. But when she remembered the little project that was sitting on the table, she bolted up, hoping Gwen hadn't seen it.

Unfortunately, Gwen was holding it in her hands.

"Morgana!" Gwen chirped cheerfully, a magnificent feat considering the time of day it was. "You're awake."

Morgana forced a smile onto her face. "Good morning, Gwen. Did you sleep well?"

"I did... Morgana, what's this?" The abrupt change in subject threw Morgana off, and she winced when Gwen held out the bracelet.

"It..." For a brief moment, she considered lying. "It was supposed to be a gift for you. I'm afraid it didn't quite turn out as planned." Gwen furrowed her brow, holding the bracelet out to Morgana.

"What are you talking about? It's amazing!" Morgana examined the bracelet closer, her eyes widening when she saw it.

It was no longer lumpy or misshapen, and the dark purple stone glimmered in the light of the rising sun.

"You... you really like it?"

Gwen grinned, nodding. "I love it. Can you help me tie it on?" Morgana happily complied, thanking whatever had caused this miracle. After tying it on, Gwen held it up to the light in admiration. "I'll keep it forever."

And Gwen did keep it forever.

Even when the crown was being placed upon Morgana's head, she felt it pressing against her wrist as she trembled.

Even when Arthur left for Camlann, she twisted it nervously, silently begging for her husband to return.

And even when she was lying on her death bed, a crying Merlin holding her hand, the bracelet was in her grasp, reminding her of the friendship she once had.

--
Why am I like this.